Wanadoo lost emails & Gmail

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke & Debk,

In addition to my Wanadoo e-mail address I have a couple of webmail e-mail addresses. Is gmail not just another webmail account? What does it offer that others don't?

My real problem would be changing my e-mail address at all. All my family and friends know what my e-mail address is. My Wanadoo e-mail address has been included in all my marketing and publicity for the last six years. Could all e-mail traffic sent through Wanadoo be aliased to a gmail address or I would I have to inform hundreds of people of my change of e-mail address?

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Coincidentally I was talking to one of my France Telecom students about the problelms I have had with the service - he immediately told me that Wanadoo was a "piece of s***" (I didn't teach him that incidentally) and he had changed to gmail as soon as he could from Wanadoo. I am in the same position as you, all my advertising and all my friends and family have my wanadoo address, but he said that everything could be forwarded to the gmail address, so there was no problem transferring, and that the service was a lot better.
Brooke,
I would appreciate any info you have on setting up an account, having lost a week's booking due to Wanadoo, I am ready to try something more reliable!
Susan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alan,

I'm not sure if Wanadoo can forward to a gmail account, but I'd imagine so. I'm not sure how you set that up, though.

Once you've set up the forwarding, you can tell gmail to use your Wanadoo address as your from: address. So it's possible that no one will ever know the difference, but the mail will come from the gmail servers, so it may be less likely to get tagged as spam.

That's the setup I have, in fact -- my gmail account for the house is both a place where I keep copies of my mail, and a webmail access point for when I'm out of town.

Plus, I have gmail set up to forward new inquiries to my cell phone, so I find out about those immediately. I like that feature a lot.

Susan, if you PM me with your e-mail address, I'll send you a gmail invite!
Brooke
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

I use the isp email system. The benefit of this is that I can keep all my current email addresses AND most importantly, I can direct enquiry emails to the isp address which then forwards the enquiry to all my other email addresses. ie when i am emailed an enquiry it immediately gets forwarded to my hotmail, work email address and my wifes personal address. If we manage to miss all these notifications then we better give up the game.

I suggest anybody who has a website use their isp email address as it gives them complete control and will not be subject to blocking as are the major providers. BTW I use 1and1.co.uk
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

OK - I'm thick..what is gmail & how does it work...also if i use a different host from wanadoo - don't I still have to connect via wanadoo which then goes onto the next provider?

My neice tried to set me up msn instant messanger here and gave up - she then tried hotmail and gave up - we just couldn't get logged, on it was if we were blocked...so I'm slightly confused now...please baby language for explanations :oops: it really does go over my head.
it's all a learning curve!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Like Clexand, I use my isp webmail, and so far have received all enquiries.
I too use 1and1
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

I think I must be missing the point about gmail. It wouldn’t be the first time. Is it not just Google’s version of webmail?

If it looks to a recipient that e-mails come from and go to Wanadoo, even though they travel via gmail, does it not look the same to their ISP and therefore still risk the possibility of rejection?

One great problem I have with all webmail systems is that my messages are stored on their servers and not on my PC. Having to go on-line to find old e-mails is OK for those of us who are on broadband but it must be an absolute pain for anyone on dial-up modem. I have no problems with storage capacity – I have over 200gb on my own mini-network.

I may be quite wrong but it seems to me that using gmail and routing or forwarding all e-mails through it is just adding another layer to what should be a simple and straightforward process.

Tell me more, please.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alan using my ISP webmail means I can automatically forward it to my freeserve account without it going missing on the way. I only had to add a forwarding e-mail address to the setup for the webmail. I then have no extra work involved, all my mail is still delivered to my inbox as normal. None so far has been marked as spam as it appears to come from my website.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Alan,

If you are using hotmail, gmail, msn or other webmail it is stored on their server initially. But if you are using a program such as outlook then you can copy those emails onto your local drive in your own inbox wher you can manipulate them or see them even if you are offline. When you answerr or forward one of the emails then your mail manger will just connect to your email provider and send them through their system.

The advantage is when you are at home you can have the convenience of outlook (or other mail manager) and when you are away you can log in from anywhere to check out your mail. It is the best of both worlds.

Tansy,

Not sure what the issue is setting up a hotmail account. It should be as simple as registering from any internet access point. These systems do not care who your isp is. The only drama with hotmail is finding a name nobody has used yet - the advantage with gmail, yahoo etc is that names are more available.

www.villaemmanuelle.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

Clexane...which one is better? Hotmail, this gmail or aol... I couldn't understand why I couldn't log on as my internet explorer is defaulted to msn - but Georgie couldn't even get into her accounts at times...really weird.

I've been using Microsoft Entourage for quite some time...4/5 years instead of outlook express ... it has been brilliant - but have just switched to Mail on my OS X as this links the whole computer together rather cleverly, also highlights threads etc. It is proving to be quite hard work at the moment getting everything into the right place, but, once done the info I have at the touch of a key is quite astounding...with smart folders the computer starts identifying subjects and makes an alias puts it in the smart folder - so to find anything is quite remarkable and so fast.

But to go back - am I correct - when I log on I go to wanadoo - my default - from wanadoo I then can go onto other isp's....but unless I change my provider I will always go via wanadoo?

If I was to change provider does anyone know will my smart box and ADSL line still all function?
it's all a learning curve!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Gmail is the Google version of webmail, but it is not just the Google version of webmail. By that I mean that I think it's superior to the other versions I've come across. As far as I know, Hotmail and Yahoo both require you to sign up for a paid account for extra features that Google doesn't charge for. Plus, there are some features that the others don't have or do differently. An example is how Gmail stores messages. It's much like this forum, with messages being stored in threads, so that messages in the same conversation are stored together, even if they are days, weeks, or months apart. That took me some getting used to, but now I like it.

One of the reasons Gmail is useful: free POP access. When I'm on my desktop I check Gmail using the web, but when I'm using my laptop, I have Thunderbird configured to check Gmail and download all new messages (while still leaving a copy of each message on Gmail's servers). So I have a local copy of all my messages, but can also access them from anywhere. As Clexane said, that's the best of both worlds.

The POP access, by the way, means that you can use the mail program you use to check and send normal Wanadoo messages, so your contact list should be preserved, and you wouldn't have to change anything about how you check and send mail, after the initial account setup. If you do it this way, you can think of the Gmail web servers as just storing backup copies of your mail.

But also, I can use Gmail's smtp server to send mail, and that ought to mean that messages from that account won't get flagged as Wanadoo spam, even if the From: address is a Wanadoo address. As far as I know (and I could be wrong), the process of identifying a piece of mail as spam has more to do with the full message headers than the From: address. The Gmail smtp server requires a login and password, so it's unlikely to be a spammer's haven. The message will still originate from a Wanadoo IP (your computer) and be from a Wanadoo address, but its origination from a Gmail server should flag it as OK by servers sophisticated enough to filter by message header and not by From: address (those are incredibly easy to spoof, so they're pretty useless as filters).

It would be easy to test this -- the Gmail setup process is very simple, so it wouldn't take much time to set up an account, including a Wanadoo From: address, and send test e-mails to people who haven't gotten your messages in the past. If they get the message, Gmail works as promised.

I'd recommend we do send a test message in this way, just to see if all the **** I said above is true. :) If it is true, you should be able to use Gmail without having to change your provider!
Brooke
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oh dear,it's all gobblydegook to me :cry:
I know some of my posts have never landed- I use Wanadoo fr.but AOL for e-mail. Think I' could do with some of Harry Potters' owls!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise wrote:......I know some of my posts have never landed - I use Wanadoo fr.but AOL for e-mail.
Does that mean that AOL is tarred with the same brush as Wanadoo by some e-mail servers?

I'm starting to think that there might not be a real problem at all.

I suppose the only way to find out about Gmail is to suck and see.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alan, I use wanadoo.co.uk, much of my spam (and it is definitely spam) comes frorm yahoo and aol addresses, none from wanadoo though. Wanadoo kindly puts it all in a spam folder for me. A very occasional piece gets through but not often. That's why I use the webmail provided by 1and1 when I set up my website.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Tansy,

You had it mostly right. When you log on to the internet you are loging onto your isp (internet service provider) which is wanadoo. That is the company that you log into to get onto the net. The webmail is a hosted peice of software just like this web forum that you can use and interact with. It is based on another server. If you have a website then this can either be hosted with your isp if they provide this service or you can have it hosted by another company - they may also provide some mail services and file storage. Thus where you log in and where you choose to use your services can be different hosted places. Not sure if that explaination helps or hinders :?

I use hotmail, but I have heard that Gmail has got some quite nice features. Like Alan though I am commited with my email address so changing is not really desirable unless I really need to. if I was starting out I would probably go with gmail or yahoo as I think they have more to prove and will offer more than Hotmail which holds most the market.

www.villaemmanuelle.com