Wanadoo lost emails & Gmail

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I have been using wanadoo.fr as my e-mail ISP for about five years now. Before that I used worldonline.fr (now called Tiscalli?). I changed because I suddenly became inundated with huge numbers of obscene spam e-mails. At the time I suspected that someone had stolen or sold the worldonline.fr user database.

Since then I have received a small number of spam and scam e-mails but nothing I can’t handle and nothing I can’t identify.

My only problem is that I know that one or two of my e-mails sent through wanadoo.fr have been rejected by other ISP’s. I have always had a rejection “bounced� notice. Never, never, have they just disappeared into the ether.

If, for marketing purposes, I had my own website I would use my host site for “mail to�, but I don’t.

When I am travelling the world, I go into an Internet Café, log onto wanadoo.fr, look at my mail and log off again. Any messages remain until I get home where I use MS Outlook and they are then downloaded onto my PC. In other words I can use wanadoo.fr as though it was webmail. What else do I need?

I have been involved with IT for almost thirty years. I have seen trends, fads and fashions come and go. I am starting to view Gmail as a “must have� but I’m thinking “No, it isn’t�. I use any one of seven search engines so I am definitely not a dedicated Google person.

On balance, I think I will stay with what I have, with the knowledge that some obscure ISP might occasionally bounce my Wanadoo e-mail messages.

Alan
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Alan,

It sounds like to me what you have is adequate. Particularily that you use outlook so you can track your emails and make sure that they get there (assuming that there is a problem with Wanadoo which sounds very strange).
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alan, as a wanadoo/freeserve user, I agree. It's easily viewed from anywhere, and then downloaded at home. Something did occut to me though. When we were applying for a French mortgage, we did a lot of e-mailing to and from the broker. Some of my mail never arrived, and some of his ended up in the spam folder on the server. Could be something to do with the title of the e-mail? Esp as ours had the words 'mortgage' in them.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Helen,

Spam filters can be set up in all sorts of ways. An example is to treat all messages as spam if the subject line contains certain words or phrases.

They can also be set up to reject or put into a spam folder all messages which comply with certain pre-determined rules.

If you have Norton Internet Security go into "Anti-Spam" for information on how rules can be set up.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It's the wanadoo spam filter that is doing this automatically.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have set up a gmail account (thanks to Brooke!) and I access it through MS Outlook, as I do wanadoo. The advantage to this is that I don't have to check a seperate web e-mail account all the time (as I forgot to do with Yahoo for ntl addresses and always forgot). For info, I have read that tesco.net addresses are also rejecting wanadoo.fr e-mails now.
Susan
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi everyone,

As Tansy said, we some difficulty communicating directly, and at the time, I suspected my website host of blocking everything from Wanadoo, although never followed it up. I'd now like to do that.

Alan, could you click on my website link and send a test email through there from Wanadoo please? Also, anybody else using Wanadoo would also be helpful. I'll then report back on what I receive.

Tansy, did you get Karen's email yesterday? It was addressed to you, but she sent me a copy.

Thanks in advance.

(taking a break from canning)
Waves from America
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

I have just sent you a test message through Wanadoo.

Alan
tansy

Post by tansy »

Joanna - no nothing arrived...as yet 8.51 a.m. here Thursday.
it's all a learning curve!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

This is the response I got from your mail server.
This is the SMTP Server program at host wanadoo.fr.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The SMTP Server program

<joanna@xxxxx.com>: host corky.nidhog.comxsaid: 550 5.0.0 we don't accept mail from spammers 29936 (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
I think it is self-explanatory. Wanadoo is being blocked by your e-mail server.

My original message was very simple. It had a subject of "Testing" and the text was "This is a test message, as requested.".

Alan
A-two

Post by A-two »

Alan,
Thanks. That's self-explanatory for email sent and received through that email server. Nidhog is small, so easy to fix, but it doesn't explain why Tansy did not receive an inquiry I sent through her website on behalf of my friend Karen, neither Karen's reply. (I guess this needs moving to the tech section)

Tansy, this is what you should have received yesterday and before.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 7:19 AM
To: st_germain@normandybeachrental.com
Cc: joanna@xxxxxx.com
Subject: Re: Request Booking Info for dates below (autoresponse)

Dear Tansy Tansy,
Thank you for looking into our lodging needs. Fortunately for us a friend
of ours has offered her family's house near D day beaches.
Karen
On 24 Aug 2005 00:18:42 -0000 st_germain@normandybeachrental.com writes:
> Hi Karen and Greg,
>
> Thank you for submitting the form. We will contact you shortly.
>
> Tansy Tansy ( St Germain Sur Ay )
> ----------------------------------------------
> Your request was:
> TO: Tansy Tansy ( St Germain Sur Ay )
> st_germain@normandybeachrental.com
> Contact: Karen and Greg (xxxx@juno.com)
> SUBJECT: Request Booking Info for dates below
> DATE ARRIVE: October 2005
> Number of Nights: nights
> DATE DEPART:
> MESSAGE: Hi Tansy,
> It\'s Joanna in New York. As promised, I phoned Karen this evening
> about her trip to France at the beginning of October and mentioned
> your places. She is going to Normandy, and would be interested to
> talk to you about possibilities, although I think it\'s only for 3
> or 4 people for 2 or 3 nights, so maybe not worth your while.
> Anyway, I gave her your website address and have given you her email
> address above, so you two can take it from here. Good Luck! Hope it
> works out!
> Sent From jAC Online Form
>
>
Last edited by A-two on Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

My little test does seem to confirm that Wanadoo is being blocked by some e-mail servers but doesn't give any clues about Tansy's problem.

At least with the Wanadoo issue, one gets a "bounced" message so the sender is aware of the problem. Tansy's situation is much more worrying, the e-mails seem to be disappearing into the ether. The sender doesn't know the message hasn't been received and the intended recipient doesn't know the message has been sent.

Alan
tansy

Post by tansy »

AHHHHHHHHH....stgermain@normandybeachrental.com....is that working Tony?

I know enquiries@normandybeachrental.com is...but the other...I'll email Tony

I got the same message Alan when I was trying to email Joanna

But still doesn't explain how & why I keep losing things...I send answers then nothing...happening now with vacationrentals enquiries - exactly the same as VRBO.
it's all a learning curve!
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

I've just sent two enquiries from the 'enquiry forms' on tansy's website, and it appears she has received both of them.

The setup is just a simple 'catchall', so that anything infront of the domain name gets sent to Tansy's wanadoo account.

My guess is, that if things are going missing then they are falling into the same 'black hole' that many of the notifications from this forum are ......... that is, that they are being 'eaten up' by an overzealous wanadoo spam filter.

Anybody need anymore Gmail accounts?!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Can Tansy ask Wanadoo to remove all their spam filters to test that scenario?
Waves from America