Spanish taxman

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
brendan

Spanish taxman

Post by brendan »

I´ve heard from two different sources that the Spanish taxman is targetting holiday rentals - both residents and non-residents. Anyone else heard similar?
alifrank1

Re: Spanish taxman

Post by alifrank1 »

brendan wrote:I´ve heard from two different sources that the Spanish taxman is targetting holiday rentals - both residents and non-residents. Anyone else heard similar?
Brendan, you only have to worry if you are hiding something :o
brenda

Post by brenda »

Exactly Alison. As all rental income should already be declared for tax purposes if people are honest what is the problem?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Being a resident I don't know how it works for non-residents nowadays but is it not the case that you pay a fixed nominal amount as a non-resident, which assumes that you are renting whether you are or not? The amount is based on the value of the house (not sure if that is catastral value or escritura).

Everyone who has a property is bound by law to make a tax return and this is how this amount is collected.

Possible what you have heard, Brendan, is that the taxman is catching up with those people who are not making declarations. I have heard that people have had their bank accounts frozen for not being registered.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'd agree with Pepsi...there is a nominal amount usually charged against the property...my mother has to pay it for her small studio.

However;

One issue is that in some areas (Balearics for example) holiday homes have never had to be registered. They then brought in a law (pressure from hoteliers) that all rental places had to be formally registered...however they refused to register any not owned by Ibicenco's though of course they used various contradicting reasons such as too rural, too urban etc.
A friend, who bought and renovated a house to state of the art standards for holiday rentals, asked her lawyer to apply for legal registration before she began renting. He told her not to bother as she wouldn't get permission.

So this left many in the position of either not being able to rent or doing so, illegally, whilst waiting for this unfair situation to right itself.
The body responsible for 'not registering' put a lot of publicity out about chasing down these now illegal properties and giving horrendous fines. I think they did one.

I've since heard that now the 'authorities' are not bothered about villas...only apartments, as these are what the hoteliers are really concerned about.
I've also been told (just last week) that now it isn't illegal to rent out your property it is illegal to sell any other services on the back of it (i.e. cleaning/welcome packs?)
It's a constantly moving target and no-one knows where they are as there is never a clear cut announcement.

Your area may be similar?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
CSE

Post by CSE »

It you believe the news stories then Spain is broke and is looking for “new” ways to get money into the governments coffers.
If you are renting then it maybe best to set up an SL so that you can clam back some taxes too. If you need financial advise then it is best to see a gestoriar they will be able to explain all the ins and outs.
Do not know where you are located but in a number of communities (i.e. Andalusia, Galicia etc) where you should be registered with the local Junta.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you are a non resident here is some more information about taxes to be paid in Spain.
http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/b ... residents/
To make payments you can download forms via this link,
http://www.aeat.es/AEAT/Contenidos_C...10/mod210e.pdf
But you will need some bar codes and I think you can only obtain them from a gestor.
There is a lot of information on the Spanish property website including this.
http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/b ... -in-spain/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.