price of oil

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
tansy

price of oil

Post by tansy »

Now Katrina has joined in with oil prices...should we be looking at increasing our winter rates big time... the price of heating is really set to escalate.

I do have woodburners in both houses but never yet has anyone really conquered the art of woodburning whilst on holiday and have turned the switches up on the radiators.

I do understand that the price of gas is set to go up 28% or higher in the UK this winter - so hopefully will make our 'guests' a bit more cost conscious...but somehow doubt it as they do have an attitude of - "I've paid for it so will use it"

What are your thoughts?
it's all a learning curve!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Never include heating in the rent and take a big enough security deposit to cover maximum heating costs.
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

How would you know how much oil they have used? My price is fully inclusive and I don't know how to genuinely charge for fuel used? How do you know how much gas has gone? :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

When we first started renting we did not charge for electricity and we found guests just didn't care about the usage. We went to do a change-over one day..the family had gone out for the day....the pool and garden lights were still on (obviously left on from the night before)..the A/C was on and fans in all the rooms were on full blast. Needless to say that family's usage for 2 weeks was 840 units (average use is about 1200-1400 for 2 months!).

We took a tip from other websites and now we allocate an electricity allowance of 150Kw per week. Any extra units used is charged at 0.15p....I tell you what..it did the trick..people are more energy conscious that you'd imagine if they know they have to pay for excess use!

Personally I won't be raising our rental prices to cater for the price of fuel this Winter, however I may increase the excess charge per unit though if fuel prices do get silly.
Last edited by Guest3 on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Fraise,
We can't separate the radiator consumption from the rest, so our conditions stipulate that electricity is provided if heating is not required, but if heating is required all electricity consumption is charged for. The same would work for gas. I guess that oil is an unsurmountable problem.
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Thanks, I just thought I'd pop over to your website to see how you phrase it but when I pressed your "www" button (beneath your signature)it said that no matches could be found for my search! Doh! Thwarted in my sleuthing again :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

We actually state that electricity is extra Novemebr through to April but we do provide firewood free of charge. Our fireplace will heat 90% of the house to a reasonable level on the coldest of days.

It still leaves us a bit expose potentially in May and October where we are considering placing a generous allowance of about 50 Euro of electricity before we charge.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

Yes, funnily enough that is what we allow - 50 Euros per week... but last year we had one family manage to run up a bill of 345 Euros in ONE week...

The sad thing is the bill is with a woodbuner that does heat the whole top floor if worked properly - but as I said in original post no one yet in our experience has managed to work it properly... why should they worry?

I think we will close up and not worry about big bills...
it's all a learning curve!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise wrote:Thanks, I just thought I'd pop over to your website to see how you phrase it but when I pressed your "www" button (beneath your signature)it said that no matches could be found for my search! Doh! Thwarted in my sleuthing again :cry:
Alexia,

I think the problem is that you quote the web addresses for both of your properties. Maybe the Perfect Places search engine can not handle two addresses at a time, it's one or the other.

Why not use the two addresses as part of your signature clause?

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

That must be it, Alan - I've removed the second property - thanks for the tip.
Fraise, here is the extract from my booking form:
"Electricity is only charged for
(according to consumption) when heating is required."
Inelegant - but I've been to lazy to rewrite it.
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

:lol: Thankyou for that Alexia ,I'm going to re-do the website over the winter so will give a thought to what to do about winter charges- I want to keep them inclusive but I don't want guests heating the whole of SWFrance-both for the sake of our Planet and my bank account!! :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com