Furniture

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
kendalcottages

Furniture

Post by kendalcottages »

I'm looking to equip a property with furniture.

First off, we need a sofa and chair. Probably one of those L-shaped sofas - something like this, perhaps...

We're actually wanting something almost identical in size and layout to the one above as, a bit like in the picture, we have a window which we don't want to obscure. The property can sleep up to four also, so we want a sofa that will comfortably seat three (as I think this example does) and be able to seat a fourth person with an armchair.

Want something reasonably modern but also something that will last and be hard-wearing... any UK suggestions?

Secondly, I'm after two king size beds... but I want one of them to be able to be 'unzipped' into twin beds if required. I don't want guests to be able to feel an awful join between two single beds if using it as a king but I think there are beds out there that are good enough in that regard these days. Any recommendations on that front?

Thank you.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Hi KC

We have zip and link beds throughout, and being six foot wide (ie Superking in UK speak), there's no problem with having to sleep on the join, and being separate mattresses removes the tendency to roll into the middle. Can't remember where they came from, but they're hotel contract type rather than big name branded; we've had a lot of positive feedback on the comfort.

We recently bought a couple of replacement sofas via an outlet on Ebay that have M&S slight seconds - one of ours had a very small tear in the upholstery on a bottom corner. Good value if they happen to have the sort of thing you're after, and you'll probably find them with an appropriate search on Ebay. We got them simply because some of our guests found the sofas we'd put in a bit low to get up from - something to check if you think your guests aren't all going to be young and athletic!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thank you for this, most helpful.

Out of interest, would I be correct in assuming that you almost always have at least one bedroom with the beds zipped together in your properties? Would you be able to find out where you gots yours (they sound good!) or would you no longer have a record?

Thank you also for the eBay suggestion. Not sure why, but would never have thought to browse for sofas there. Good for ideas if nothing else.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Windy

Post by Windy »

We got some super leather reclining sofas and armchairs from Blackpool that guests keep threatening to put on the roofrack and take home.

P.M. me if you'd like details. :lol:
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Sofas look good, but I would go with a darker/more mottled shade........ :shock:
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kendalcottages wrote: Out of interest, would I be correct in assuming that you almost always have at least one bedroom with the beds zipped together in your properties? Would you be able to find out where you gots yours (they sound good!) or would you no longer have a record?
Typically yes, but we have had a number of occasions when we've had no sex groups (I'm being careful what I say here :wink:) where being able to offer two or three twin bedrooms has got us the booking. Conversely we've had bookings consisting of two or three couples holidaying together, who wanted doubles.

One thing we learnt was how to minimise the work in splitting the beds; each single now has its own fitted valance (they velcro on to the divan base, probably came from Out Of Eden who might be worth a visit as they have some clearance items at the moment - call in on your way!) so splitting is a case of unzipping the mattresses and undoing the links. The pain is the amount of bedding we need to stock in different sizes, including both single and double mattress protectors, and the time it takes to swap that around.

I'll have a dig and see if I can find where the beds came from; almost certainly an online supplier as it was the simplest way to get a lot of items when we were faced with fitting out three properties from scratch.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Greenbarn, can you visit Out of Eden? I thought they just did mail order
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

HelenB wrote:Greenbarn, can you visit Out of Eden? I thought they just did mail order
Helen - they have a trade desk and a number of things on display, including end of line oddments, seconds, samples etc. For example, if you were thinking of getting bath robes you could go in and fondle one (or however you assess a bath robe). Generally not busy, and someone usually comes in from the warehouse to serve you rather than being full time on the desk. You can place your order and take it away there and then. Nice people.

They're on the A685 between Kirkby Stephen and Brough, a mile or two outside K-S.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Good tip re: the valance, GB. I also hadn't realised you could visit Out of Eden. Sounds worth a trip out some time. Not sure if you'd appreciate us calling in as we will more than likely have our two little ones in tow! Also, if you are able to dig out that info on the beds, that would be great but I don't want to cause any undue trouble...
Annew

Post by Annew »

Re the sofas - removable washable covers are an absolute must! Also, IME a sofa with legs lasts longer!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Greenbarn wrote:
HelenB wrote:Greenbarn, can you visit Out of Eden? I thought they just did mail order
Helen - they have a trade desk and a number of things on display, including end of line oddments, seconds, samples etc. For example, if you were thinking of getting bath robes you could go in and fondle one (or however you assess a bath robe). Generally not busy, and someone usually comes in from the warehouse to serve you rather than being full time on the desk. You can place your order and take it away there and then. Nice people.

They're on the A685 between Kirkby Stephen and Brough, a mile or two outside K-S.
I pass the place often enough on my way to Lancaster, but didn't realise you could call in. I'll set off earlier next time I'm over that way.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

HelenB wrote:

I pass the place often enough on my way to Lancaster, but didn't realise you could call in. I'll set off earlier next time I'm over that way.
Do you go that gigantic antiques place in Lancaster? Can't remember what it's called.....
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

GB Antiques Centre...? ( http://www.gbantiquescentre.com/ )
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Not into antiques to be honest, I usually go to visit my son who is at university there.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kendalcottages wrote:GB Antiques Centre...? ( http://www.gbantiquescentre.com/ )
Yup, that's it.

They have some very nice furniture as well as tat, but of course that's not much use if your place is overseas :oops: