Bread Rolls

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
ZwieselDave

Bread Rolls

Post by ZwieselDave »

Sorry for this, but living in Germany and Austria, you would have Bread Rolls with Meat and Cheese etc for breakfast.

Do you buy your Bread Rolls every morning from the baker or do you make your own in a bread oven or the like ?

Thanks

Dave
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

I do a 12km round trip to the baker's each morning to get fresh bread. I do sometimes buy rolls to bake in the oven, which i use if guests have an early start and i cant get to the bakers before they open
Nessie
brenda

Post by brenda »

We go into the village each morning for fresh breads and rolls.

However, I always have a supply of half baked rolls in the freezer just in case I cannot get out - pop these in the oven for 5 minutes and serve them hot.
pete

Post by pete »

We are fortunate enough to be on a delivery route so have fresh bread and croissants delivered daily, however we do supplement this with home-made bread and supermarket half cooked stuff that you bake in the oven when you want it.
ZwieselDave

Intresting

Post by ZwieselDave »

Guys,

Thanks for the response so far, I understand from a customer point of view that I would expect nice fresh rolls everyday, this all started last night while discussing a business case with German friends last night and even though they didn't know the answer for sure they where adamant that B&B owners collected there rolls every morning from the baker, what got me going on this was that in 99% of the German B&Bs I had stopped in the bread rolls all looked and tasted the same, which got me to thinking that they where cooking there own from part baked or frozen, I was actually going to buy some to test.

But if I have to go to the bakers every morning, that I would do, but I doubted if that was really what was going on behind the scenes.

Thanks

Dave
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm not a B&B owner; would it be heresy to have a bread machine in a B&B?

I own this bread machine from Zojirushi, and while it makes a tasty loaf that probably wouldn't be table-ready for a B&B (not pretty enough), it also makes excellent dough. It's programmable, so you could add the ingredients before bed and wake up to dough that's ready to be separated into rolls and put in the oven. It's a big machine that's easily up to making 2 pounds of dough, which makes a lot of rolls.

Then again, that might be sacrilege for a B&B... not sure, just thought I'd suggest it. From a customer's point of view, I wouldn't necessarily expect homemade rolls every morning, but I would love it if they were available.
Brooke
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

We make all our bread in a bread machine and the guests LOVE it. I do all sorts of different stuff, both sweet and savoury, and usually as a whole loaf because you can programme it to do that overnight. However it is also possible to make dough for rolls etc. There really is nothing more appetising than the smell of freshly baked bread in the morning.

I use mine so much that I need a standby in case of failure and have had 3 Lidl ones - they do tend to wear out eventually but I don't think they owe me anything after a couple of years constant use. They used to be about €40 but I see there is an offer soon for a new model at €55. The very best investment I ever made.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

We make our dough in a bread machine and then bake it in the oven - we think it tastes nicer (and certainly looks nicer) than what comes out of the machine.

We get lots of complements about our bread. In fact a regular French couple (who have been coming to the town for years) say it is the best bread in town (there are 4 boulangeries here).
www.3placedesarbres.com - vegetarian chambres d'hôtes in Limousin, France
Titti

Post by Titti »

I'm not a B&B owner; would it be heresy to have a bread machine in a B&B?
We have been using our bread maker for 6 years and it's always a success. Sometimes we add bought bread but people prefers the homemade one.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

The B&Bs here get their rolls from the baker first thing in the morning. As we are self- catering, a number of our German guests go to the bakers in the village to get their rolls first thing. We don't provide fresh rolls daily but have the part baked variety available for guests.

It is true that most basic rolls in Germany taste the same. It doesn't mean that they don't come from the local baker.
ZwieselDave

Thanky You

Post by ZwieselDave »

Thank you to everyone for the input.

Was able to catch the current owner of the pension we are looking at today and it seems that she has them delivered daily from the local bakery.

But I do fancy having a go of my own, I think I will have a test to see what I can do and for how much, is it cost effective against quality.

Thanks again

Dave