Starting Out Questions Pt 2 (in an ongoing series): Linens

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
baylor

Starting Out Questions Pt 2 (in an ongoing series): Linens

Post by baylor »

Hello all, and sorry for the dribs-and-drabs approach to asking questions about getting our holiday home ready for letting.

Just to restate: rather than a hotel or guest house, it's a holiday let. We're hoping that it will be let mostly during the summer and shoulder seasons. It's a big house--five bedrooms, three baths--so we're expecting probably large family, multi-family, or group rentals.

My question to those of you in the know is this: how many sets of linens do you provide? So if we say that the house sleeps ten-twelve (five bedrooms, two people in each, though there is one sofabed as well), do we need to provide two sets of towels/handcloths/facecloths for each person? (so that's 12 sets for a weekly rental.)

Then I assume we need one set ready for the switchover, and another set in the cycle for backup. So three full sets to start. Then do I need a couple more sets for backfill in case they go missing? (This is starting to be an expensive proposition! :) )

That would be, say, 40 full sets of towels.

Then for beds, is it likewise--three sets for each bed?

Finally, what do people do for bed covering? At home I use a duvet for all seasons, and obviously nothing in the summertime. But this is, of course, the UK, where it doesn't get nearly as warm as it does in southern coastal France. What do people use on the beds, thinking of ease of use (switchover, cleaning) and economy and comfort?

Thanks all!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We have an apartment with two doubles and a single. One set on the bed, one set in the wash. Changed weekly. One set of towels per person, one set in the wash. I've discussed with apartment manager if we need three sets, and she is happy with two.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

The number of sets you need is going to be partly related to length of lets. If you are doing a minimum of one week lets you can get away with less because you have at least a week to get everything laundered.

We just supply one bath towel and one hand towel per person but change them once during the stay if it is longer than a week and in any case will replace when asked to.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I would have thought that 3 sets of linen (etc.) were the minimum as (a) accidents happen (b) laundry can have a problem with staff and/or machinery (c) cleaner/manager can forget/be sick (d) guests can find our linen cupboard and help themselves.

So one set on, one set being laundered, one set spare. We've used that spare set many times.

We also get special requests for bed linen to be washed in non-allergenic detergent, very occasionally. I can't use anything which has been washed in bio-anything - boring but true.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

HUbby gets skin rash from most bios, apart from Ecover, so all of ours is washed all the time in a hypoallergenic liquid.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hi Baylor - 3 sets of bed-linen (in use, at laundry, next on); always make up every bed (other than the sofa beds), ie don't presume where they will sleep; but only towels for the specific number of guests.
Believe me, if you put out more they will use them - people are voracious for towels.

I'm in Herault too and we use 2 weights of duvet - winter and summer - and it seems to work; we've never had any problems and guests haven't complained. If it's really hot they'll kick them off or use just the cover as a sheet.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
baylor

Post by baylor »

Thanks Moliere, much appreciated!

With all the faff about allergies--do people use the polyfill duvets or down ones? or a selection of both?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We use all synthetic fill duvets and pillows for allergy reasons. We have -20C temperatures at night but have good insulation and heating, so same duvet all year round. Only one guest has ever complained.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I use synthetic filling, hubby is allergic to feathers.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Synthetics - they're pretty good these days, and easier to clean.

By the way, Baylor, we found a good place for bedding, linen and towels is in the commercial park on the East side of Beziers - I can't remember the name of the shop, but it's almost next-door to BUT, just on the left as you look at the front of BUT.

Moliere
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Baylor, we started 4 years ago and to start with I thought we'd manage with 2 sets of bedding only and see how that went and so far so good. Haven't yet found the need for a 3rd set, same with towels. I leave one bath towel, one hand towel and one flannel per person. It's all left on the beds, which I don't make up :oops: (haven't had any complaints though) so just leave x number of sets according to how many people and they can move them to whichever rooms they want to use. Good luck, it's a scary time but you can't fail if you follow everyone's advice on this forum - it's completely invaluable! :D 8)
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

We have 3 sets of bed sheets per bed. I leave one bath/hand/face/pool towel per person and extra if wanted at a small charge. I only have 2 sets of towels though. Will probably buy more of the same kind this spring.

We have feather duvets for the winter and spring. In summer we make the beds with sheet, top sheet and cotton blanket. I am not sure even the blanket is necessary.

I am not onsite and I take this into consideration too. I would rather leave a few extra sets than have to sort somthing out from afar if there is a big hiccup.
Last edited by ccazes on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

Just to be contrary I have 2 and a half sets - one on, one in the wash and a few spares. Ditto for towels (bath sheet and hand towel each, plus a couple of slightly less smart spares per house for grubby infants/hair drying etc, but definitely not dogs). The slightly less than smart spares seem to go down very well. I always offer a change of linen for two week stays, but it as yet has never been accepted.

If they do hire my linen (having mainly french/belgian/german and dutch clientele, the preference seems to be for a base price + extras) I do make the beds up - it seems rude not to, and really doesn't take that long - years of chalet girl experience comes in handy for speedy bedmaking!

Oh yes, and a hand towel, 5/6 tea-towels and a table cloth are included in the base price. And a few cheap candles and tea lights (bought in industrial quantities at IKEA), and in summer a couple of citronella candles for outside dining.

Think that's it - sorry about going off thread with candle talk!

Fifi
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have 2 sets of everything plus one or two spares, but I hardly have room to store 48 bath towels, 48 hand towels, 12 x double bed linen and 24 x single bed linen, plus tea towels, bath mats and swimming towels in winter. 3 sets would be impossible. I'm also on site and do my own laundry so there is never a problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Just to be clear - we're not on-site, and all linen, towels etc goes to the laundry. They are not that quick, hence the need for 3 sets of everything!

Mols :wink: