Youngsters

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My eldest is 17 and actually starting to show some signs sof growing up. Since his (excellent) GCSE results, he's tidied and hoovered his bedroom, found a part-time job, and has stopped asking me to do everything for him, I didn't even provide the taxi service last weekend.
A-two

Post by A-two »

alexia s. wrote:Actually, I've never met anybody with a child lazier than our son. He used to swallow the cherry pits because it was too much trouble to spit them out. I always use this as the acid test when people complain about their lazy child. Ours is still No. 1.
I wouldn't challenge that claim just yet, since my daughter is only 17, but her reading glasses have only had one arm since she sat on them 6 months ago. Although she drives past the opticians/optometrist at least twice a day on her way to and from college, she's too lazy to actually go there and pick out new frames.

Quite recently I read an article (Scientific America maybe?)which talked about the discovery of significant physiological change in certain areas of the teenage brain, which starts with the onset of puberty. They talked about it in terms of the brain rewiring itself, in particular the areas which deal with risk taking and common sense. This explains a lot, including why they suddenly forget everything you have ever taught them, then blame you when everything goes wrong.

For this reason alone, I would never rent to teenagers. If asked, I tell them we would be happy to accomodate their parents while they have their little get-together at home.
Waves from America
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"she's too lazy to actually go there and pick out new frames"
This certainly sounds like serious competition, Joanne.
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oooh,not sure about that -after all,she does actually DRIVE herself there!! Chauffeur not required :wink:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Don't start me on this subject!! Looks like this topic could go on for quite a few pages!

Our moody 15 year old virutally lives in his bedroom and on the internet...we tried to get him to come with us to help do a changeover when we first started renting...ha! ..I think we were expecting a miracle to happen...not! He reluctantly pushed a broom outside (with one hand) with a face like a smacked a*** so I ended up finishing the job for him. Needless to say he's never come with us to do a change-over. Now that my husband is back working in the UK...I have to employ another lad to sweep the pool and terraces for me!

We have two more children (24 & 26) that live in the UK and must admit we did have a trying time with our Daughter Clare when she was a teenager..but she did help around the house and she's grown up into a lovely affectionate adult with a spotless house. Our eldest Son, Aaron was no trouble at all even through his teens (yes..hand on heart I could have had twins of him and still been happy)...but our youngest seems to come from a different mould!

Matthew is actually a bright lad (!) he's took 8 GCSE's this Summer and passed them and he's now doing GCSE A's (taking them earlier than if he was in the UK)..but he just doesn't seem to have any common sense.

I'd better stop now or I'll start rambling like mad woman let loose!!

By the way..any child physcologists on the forum that can give us poor parents any advise on how to cope with good-for-nothing teenagers?? :roll:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oh-we mustn't confuse laziness with "dumbness". Mine have got rather a lot of brain cells and several degrees and further degrees (as have their parents :wink: )- this doesn't seem to make any difference at all,in fact the cleverer one of them seemed to become (as judged by academic success!!) the level of "cluelessness" seemed to increase!!! By mid 20's had just about sussed out the washing machine :?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"He reluctantly pushed a broom outside (with one hand) with a face like a smacked a**" - I know him! he used to live in our house!
No, seriously, our son didn't have this level of energy. When his father asked him to vacuum the car he used to nip across the road & offer the task to the younger lad there - he would have made it sound like a favour. It took us some time to realise that the car was always being cleaned by the neighbour's son, dutifully supervised by ours, lounging on the back seat.
Best,
Alexia.
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Fraise wrote:Oh-we mustn't confuse laziness with "dumbness". Mine have got rather a lot of brain cells and several degrees and further degrees (as have their parents :wink: )- this doesn't seem to make any difference at all,in fact the cleverer one of them seemed to become (as judged by academic success!!) the level of "cluelessness" seemed to increase!!! By mid 20's had just about sussed out the washing machine :?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
The definition of an Academic???

Someone who knows more and more..........................

about less and less........................

until they know everything about absolutely nothing. :D

PS still need a review of my new website :!:
Last edited by PeeJay on Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I'm sure they are a new breed of the human species...look out world (or aliens)....you can't reason with this lot!!

We still can't understand what happened as he became a 'Kevin' as soon as he turned 13!! My husband says they ought to bring back National Service! Funily enough they stopped National Service in Spain only 2 years ago...shame...!! :cry:
garlic

Post by garlic »

Oh dear my son puts butter to melt on his soup/beans whatever because he can't be bothered to spread it on bread...I could go on he really is having a very lazy phase
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hee- a new culinary experience!!Maybe he'll be the next Jamie Oliver (not!) :roll:
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Welcomed a family yesterday - only 3 children, but what a disaster. They are very nice people, but nobody supervises them. The house was dirty straight away - I shouldn't have bothered ensuring that it was spotless.
Worse: the group with 7 youngsters (6 male) has replied to my two polite no's with a further request to book. I don't think I have needed to say "no" 3 times before - is this a record, or are other owners pursued by determined would-be visitors?
Should I start a topic on "harassment"?
I've given her the details of another property in the area - all this takes time & is relatively unpleasant - meaning, of course, that I want them even less.
The result is that I have now decided not to take a booking for more than 1 of the three properties for the same rentor except right out of season.
Susan, I'l keep my fingers crossed for you!
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I had a family in the summer with 4 teenage children-the house looked like an encampment of travellers whilst they were there-they left it spotless when they went :?
I too had a determined booker this summer- I said "no" several times ( their party was 8,my absolute max is 7- I don't do sofa beds!!),she came back with "a child will sleep on the floor/3 in a bed etc.After 3 "no" e-mails she got the message and gave up :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've just had an enquiry in for 6 policemen from N.Ireland....they promise they will be good and leave my house in one piece... I think they will - I'm taking the booking ... partly as I am originally from Northern Ireland - so hopefully single sex groups - it isn't always true or I have a repeat pattern of the Norfolk Village!
it's all a learning curve!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Ooh,keep us up to spec on this one! Could be interesting :lol: