Which type of property do you consider the best to rent out?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
pennyayers

Which type of property do you consider the best to rent out?

Post by pennyayers »

Hello everyone

We are off to El Gouna, a place by the Red Sea in Egypt, looking for a possible property to purchase, partly as a holiday home and partly to rent out. I would be really interested to hear your views on what you consider what property you would prefer if you were looking to rent somewhere, if all were similarly priced.

1. A two bedroom marina apartment with lovely views

2. A two bedroom apartment with direct access to a beach and sea water lagoon you can swim in

3. A three bedroom house on a lagoon beach, with roof terrace and views over golf course.

All are within easy reach of sea and facilities/shops of the resort.

Your views would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Penny
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Penny,
"If all were similarly priced", who wouldn't prefer 3)???
There seems to be some consensus here that small units have a higher percentage return. That is certainly our experience: we have a studio, a 2 bed & a 3 bed property. Per person rental income is far higher in the studio than in the 2 bed .... & in the 2 bed than in the 3 bed.
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

there is no doubt the smaller apartments/properties are easier to sell 'off season' - the big family properties sleeping 10 are hard to shift this time of year.

I like the sound of direct access on to the beach personally.

Let us know what you go for.
it's all a learning curve!
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

tansy wrote:there is no doubt the smaller apartments/properties are easier to sell 'off season' - the big family properties sleeping 10 are hard to shift this time of year.
Just what I was about to say... large properties are easy to let at peak times, but far less easy out of season. If I was looking for year round letting, I would tend to go for something smaller.

Aaron
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

They all sound fabulous to me!! A 3 bedroom property doesn't sound too big 8) I've had couples in my 3 bedroomed house and other small groups.In the middle of summer it's been families although a couple did book for August but ended up bringing 2 others,still only 4 though.You do get flexibility in that if 2 or 3 couples want to travel together they can (my last 4 groups of guests have been 2 couples). :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

NO 2 sounds fine to me, I hate golf.
pennyayers

Post by pennyayers »

Many thanks for your replies, certainly gives me a better idea. I'll keep you posted if we end up with anything!!

Penny
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

WHAT was that?
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Hi Penny,

Now that our memory has been jolted :shock:, how did you get on in your reco trip?

Did you find what you wanted?
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

WHAT was that?
A spammer..gone now!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

:lol: Had some spam software to accompany him too- I went and clicked on his link just too soon, my brain was saying "no" but the fingers had hit the "read" button ! :oops:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

And me Fraise
then my computer went a bit weird and I switched off....or maybe I went a bit weird and the computer swiched off...didnt get into my usual safe mode though...thank goodness... :roll: :lol: .
jude

El Gouna

Post by jude »

Can I just say that I love El Gouna and if you buy a place let me know and I will rent it off you! As for size, well 2 beds seems like a good bet, and any size if it has a pool!
'What would I do if I knew I couldn't fail?
pennyayers

Post by pennyayers »

Hi,

Sorry never got back to you, but yet we did buy, but not what we went out for! We eventually settled for a small one bedroom apartment, which is quite basic, but with a domed ceiling in the lounge, a vaulted ceiling in the bedroom and a large balcony with fabulous views over the lagoon. We've had it a couple of years now and all is going well. In fact so impressed we've invested in what will be a similar resort along the coast. This time its an off plan 2 bedroom apartment. The resort will be amazing when its finished, with golf courses, a sunken city for divers, 5* hotels and a futuristic marina.