Bookings for 2006.. How's it going?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Well I have to admit to being cockahoop about 2006. We are booked from the May half term until the end of September, barring two weeks in Sept (a recent cancellation due to two pregnancies in the group). There's also a pending for a week in May and we have two long weekends in April and May for a group of Pilates ladies (their teacher organises it all - we have a large space that they can use for exercise, but they spend most of their time in restaurants... :wink: ).

The Sept cancellation have rebooked for June 07 so we haven't actually lost out on that either.

I can't quite believe how far this has gone before the end of Jan 06. Similar properties in our area are not reporting the same level. All we can put it down to is the en suite bathrooms. No one else has this.

So if you're just starting out renovating a large property, that would be my recommendation!
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
gh

Post by gh »

Just after complaining on another thread re TVA possabily going up and facing a bigger Artisan's bill, ping, in comes an e-mail enquiring for 2 wks in May.
Telephoned the enquirer who was pleased to receive a call, usually he gets e-mails and said it was unusual to hear a voice, after a pleasant chat converted said enquiry into a booking.

I always call if a telephone number is given it obviously helped him make up his mind and helped me convert the enquiry.
Have e-mailed booking and terms/conditions pay-pal payment made.

Made my day. :D
moose

Bookings

Post by moose »

Well I'm happy! We only started advertising our newly renovated gite 2 weeks ago and I've secured 7 weeks for the summer already with 3 more weeks worth pencilled in. I've also got a 6 month booking for next winter.

So thanks to everyones input from laymyhat - your advice has been invaluable.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I'm now getting desperate folk ringing up could I put them on a wait list if there is a cancellation...

What is going on?... Is it just an exceptional year...I'd like to think for us here it is folk taking decision not to fly and drive instead and do their bit for global warming... but I believe this healthy booking situation is across the board...Spain,Portgual etc.

Hannah has the bird flu in Turkey affected you at all?
it's all a learning curve!
CostaBlanca

If only........

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi Tansey,

Tell them that there are lots of villas for rent down on the Costa Blanca. :) A rather long drive though!

Many holiday makers used to come back here year after year, sometimes to the same villa - maybe this year they have decided to holiday in France instead.

Maria
PS. There is talk of Bird flu in Nigeria now!!
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Well, since starting this thread way back, I can see that things are doing well for most of us here! I cannot complain, all of summer (June/July/Agust/September) is sold out and this year has even seen us selling all of February, which is not normal, but accepted with open arms! Nothing going in March yet, but I'm quite confident that something will come up.
Malta – always in the sunshine!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hi all

Well after reading most of the replies on this topic I am now officially depressed :(

We have had some booking for this year but are no where near fully booked at all and the inquiries are few and far between as well.

I advertise with Holiday-Rentals, French Connections and also the local Tourist office brochures. I have been with HR for just a few months and have only had one enquiry from them.

What am I doing wrong? Should I panic yet??? Last year was so good for us but I'm starting to get worried about this year.

Marc
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marc,

I don't know if you should be worrying yet but if you should be then should I. My bookings usually come in January, February, March & April so I am not too depressed at the moment although I might be in a few weeks time.

My advertising is much the same as yours and my enquiries are rather thin on the ground. Fortunately, I have a reasonable number of repeat bookings but new ones are performing poorly.

It’s not just me and it’s not just my area. Many friends in France and in Spain are saying the same thing.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Marc,
have you thought about advertising on more sites? Maybe I'm a little profligate with my marketing, but my properties are on at least 10 rental listing sites, some more expensive, such as HR & Abritel and some cheaper sites, frenchholidayhomes, visit france, looktogo, france4families (I have not re subscribed to FC after a poor 2005 with them). I get a small number of bookings from all of them, and a number from my own website. If I didn't advertise on a number of sites I wouldn't have the bookings I currently do. I aim to spend about 4 - 5% of income on advertising.
Having checked, visit-france.co.uk is has brought me in most of my recent bookings!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,

Who knows? Is it because your location is for the mass-market? Is it because you market massively? Who knows?

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan,
you are quite right, who knows, there are too many variables to consider. However, I have to say that the last week or so has been very quiet for me too on the UK enquiry front.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I've got the 4 months in the summer booked but nothing else so far.Last year I turned people away in May,and was full in October and part of November too.It is only Feb though and when I look back I had only just got the web site up and running this time last year with dire piccies as the house wasn't finished!! Guess it's just wait and see time :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

I've focused some advertising sites on key words for long stay and winter holidays. That seems to have worked - booked for December, january and february 2006/2007 (I charge 4 weeks for the price of two and bill electricity). September and October are well booked but peak 12 weeks only 4 weeks booked so far.

Good luck

Tudor
www.frigiliana-apartment.com
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
JulieR

New this year!

Post by JulieR »

Hi all
Just been reading through the posts with interest as this is our first year with the b&b and the gite. some good advise as I am now in the process of deciding where to advertise. With limited funds available for this (after doing the place up!). I will no doubt keep you posted and read future posts with interest.

www.lepetitlac.co.uk
moose

Post by moose »

French Connections and frenchentree-brittany (obviously not so useful for you as you're not in Brittany :roll: ) have pretty well filled my peak season after a pay out of just over £200 but as Susan said previously, FC hadn't done it for her - so its a bit of a lotter I guess.

After a rush of enquiries, it does seem to have gone quieter again - is there a pattern to bookings? (peak/quiet times through the year?)