Inventory

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
kendalcottages

Inventory

Post by kendalcottages »

I put together our inventory last night. Ugh, what a thankless task!

At times I was left wondering 'should I include this or not?' and I couldn't really decide. For example, something as basic as the front door to the property... it has a security chain... do I bother to mention this? It's obviously not something that can easily be taken away when guests leave, but at the same time it might be something people want to know is there.

In the end, I opted for listing just everything, even down to the blinds and curtains (I stopped at the curtain poles!). Have I gone overboard?

http://www.kendalcottages.com/accommoda ... entory.htm
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Also... have we forgotten anything? :)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kendalcottages wrote:Also... have we forgotten anything? :)
I'd reckon it as OTT for a holiday let, maybe not for long term let, but I'd be very interested to know what others think.

VB insist on clothes pegs, but I can't remember how many - and don't think for one moment that not having a washing line would be any excuse!

Far more important - where's the Kendal Mint Cake, plus contact details for the nearest dentist?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Rolling pin?
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Seems pretty comprehensive but I certainly didn't add the curtains on mine. I just tend to send mine out as a guide so that renters know what to bring, especially with regard to bed linen, etc.
I was also a bit unsure about publishing it on the web though, but there again you are probably on-site anyway.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I actually don't have an inventory list for either house (I think I did when I was out shopping to furnish them, etc. but not for guests.)
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Greenbarn wrote:VB insist on clothes pegs, but I can't remember how many - and don't think for one moment that not having a washing line would be any excuse!
Are you serious? Hmmm... I guess we could supply them even though there's not a washing line. *shrug*
Greenbarn wrote:Far more important - where's the Kendal Mint Cake, plus contact details for the nearest dentist?
I did wonder about that. Maybe it needs to be there. It's a bit like Marmite, I think... one of those things people either love or hate, so I wasn't sure whether to include it. If we did, we probably wouldn't list it... it'd just be an extra surprise for when guests arrive.
la vache! wrote:Rolling pin?
By that, do you mean 'what is such a thing?' or did you just not spot it in our inventory? ;)
James3214 wrote:Seems pretty comprehensive but I certainly didn't add the curtains on mine. I just tend to send mine out as a guide so that renters know what to bring, especially with regard to bed linen, etc.
I was also a bit unsure about publishing it on the web though, but there again you are probably on-site anyway.
Yes, I did wonder about that. Not sure what made me put in, tbh. As for publishing it, I'm not too worried about that. I make a point of never saying where the apartment is (except to those who book, of course), and always give our office address (also in town and not all that far away) if a postcode is ever required.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have a complete inventory for our own purposes which we check twice a year between seasons in case we have not spotted when something has disappeared (rarely happens).

We supply a list of what is supplied in the way of kitchen equipment and bathroom stuff on the booking confirmation. This is to try to save people bringing things which are not necessary (like hair dryer and swimming towels) and so that they know they really can cook in the kitchen.

My feeling is that an inventory of any sort is OTT for a holiday rental. But I guess it's a personal matter.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

Don't laugh re the clothes pegs! I have visitors who have been 6 times in 2 1/2 yrs and have booked again for August. One of the reasons they choose us is that they live in Scotland and have a daughter in Kent & one on the Isle of White. They use us as a stopover and always do their washing here :D I kid you not. Every time they come about an hour after they arrive the clothes line is full :D Mind you, i'm not complaining.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I unashamedly stole Margaret's suggestion (thanks Margaret!) a while back and started sending out some detail on what guests would find in our cottages - not the obvious, but things they might not expect (eg hair dryers) and consumables, toiletries etc. We've actually had a couple of comments from guests saying how useful this was.

We don't send a full inventory, although there is one in each property - apart from anything else it's a requirement for VB grading. It doesn't go as far as curtains and pictures, although it does include spare lightbulbs.

Early on, before we had such an inventory, we discovered its value. We had a large group who took over the entire place, and inevitably crockery and cutlery (all matching!) got moved around. When it came to cleaning, we were pretty sure that one property should have more than one teaspoon, and another shouldn't have 17, and so on - but we had to sit and think what the correct distribution was, writing down as we went. (This property sleeps 4 so should have X of this and that, but that one sleeps 6 so should have X+Y, whilst the other one sleeps 5 so ..... you get the picture.)
So that was a useful lesson learned the hard way!

Probably even more important if you're not managing the changeovers yourself.

One issue with an inventory that covers every last needle in the sewing kit is tracking it - it's likely to become inaccurate very quickly, at which point the whole inventory is of questionable use, and it's a disincentive for adding extra non-essential or decorative items.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

We don't have a comprehensive inventory anymore, but list some of the things included in the rental on our website.

We are compiling three new lists - one for us to check a couple of times a year, one simplified changeover checklist and one to list in our pre-welcome documents so guests know what is in the house and what they may need to bring.

As for clothes pegs. As most of our guests are families with offspring, they have no choice but to wash clothes while they are here. We have a bagfull of pegs and a lovely line on the roof where clothes dry in about 30 minutes.

Ciccio
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

re: clothes pegs...hanging your wash out in plain view is actually against our town ordinance (believe it not!) but, my big 'ole American tumble dryer is there to use...so I can't imagine any complaints really. (and yes, they ALL do laundry...even the people only in for a short-stay!) We do have clothes pegs and a clothes horse, of course, in Italy...the washing machine is so slow and teeny though, my US guests never bother with it.
Richard51

Post by Richard51 »

We have just done one for ours (it runs to 8 pages - but it is a very big house!) We didn't include consumable items though. We did ours so we could do a periodic check as to what we should have and what has been broken but also because the wording of the proforma contract on a-gites (which we have used with some mods) referred to the inventory.

We intend to send it out to renters in advance of their stay - both so they know what they need to bring / leave at home and also as a gentle reminder that we do check for missing / broken items in the hope they will be be careful / own up if anything does get broken.