AA ratings for self-catering

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

AA ratings for self-catering

Post by greenbarn »

I don't think I've seen this mentioned on the forum, so I thought I'd flag it up for anyone who didn't know and might be interested, and to see what people think.

The AA have branched out with their ratings and launched an assessment scheme for self-catering properties. VB have gone off in a huff to collect the toys they threw and are making dark mutterings about the AA scheme not adhering to common standards (wossat mean?), and saying that it will cause confusion amongst the public.
They may have a point, although I doubt if The Public have much of an idea of what the VB ratings translate into anyway. I haven't looked at the AA scheme in any detail, but maybe I should. Has anyone else done so, and formed any impressions/conclusions or whatever? A useful marketing tool, or another way to blow money?
goosie

Post by goosie »

I haven't done it but will certainly investigate. We found the restrictions of English Tourist board (must have a dresser and butter knives!) too archaic for our property which is deliberately minimilist and uncluttered but without losing the things that people absolutely need and want (like good cupboard space, storage etc!). I haven't once in the two years we've been renting had any guest complain because we hadn't provided a butter knife!
Windy

Post by Windy »

What about the butter dish eh?

We had to trawl through the charity shop to find ours as real shops no longer sell them :lol:

I thought their harrumphing about "common" (i.e "Our") standards was quite funny. The fact they had to send out a panicky email speaks volumes doesn't it. They are obviously worried about haemorrhaging members - no I dn't mean not bloody legs - and with some justification givern their less than impressive recent performances.

The AA certainly has a stronger brand than Visit Britain doesn't it.

How much is it per year GB?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The scale of fees and detail of standards is available from this page on the AA website.

One thing I spotted which has already set alarm bells jangling is on the sidebar - there is what seems like a strong relationship with cottages4you. Try searching for a self-catering place, and it is "powered by" cottages4you. Hmmmmm... not good.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Windy wrote: The AA certainly has a stronger brand than Visit Britain doesn't it.
Interesting thought - refer to a hotel as 4 star and it's generally assumed that's the AA rating, so if the self-catering scheme gets legs, I wonder if the AA star rating will supplant VB by default?

I believe that for other forms of accommodation, the AA and VB have common standards. I wonder why they've decided not to adopt this approach for self-catering? It may of course be nothing more than getting ahead to the position that VB may well arrive at when VB have finished updating their own standards.
Windy

Post by Windy »

there is what seems like a strong relationship with cottages4you. Try searching for a self-catering place, and it is "powered by" cottages4you. Hmmmmm... not good.
Not something that would encourage me either to be frank
goosie

Post by goosie »

but having looked at the criteria, it is certainly more realistic than VB. I think we may be tempted to give it a try.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Windy wrote:The AA certainly has a stronger brand than Visit Britain doesn't it.
Yes - when I started reading this thread I hadn't a clue who you were discussing and I was on the verge of posting the question "What's VB?". Now you've mentioned it, I realise that yes I had heard of it, but it certainly didn't spring immediately to mind.

What next for self catering? Egon Ronay? Michelin stars? The Good Cottage Guide? :lol:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Somewhere in my house, probably in the loft, I have a jam dish and spoon. Let me know if anyone needs it for their cottage :wink:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

HelenB wrote:Somewhere in my house, probably in the loft, I have a jam dish and spoon. Let me know if anyone needs it for their cottage :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's brightened my day already!