I've disappeared from Google!!!

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
ashtondav

I've disappeared from Google!!!

Post by ashtondav »

Help!

My website was on the first page of google for some months for key words such as Frigiliana, Frigiliana apartment etc.

Now i have disappeared - I am not even on the first 10 pages!

Any ideas urgently wanted please.

Thanks Tudor
www.frigiliana-apartment.com
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
paolo

Post by paolo »

C'est la vie! Google changes its rankings all the time, sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down, and sometimes you disappear altogether. It's only temporary though. Try MSN search to cheer you up, personal websites usually do much better in that. (If only more people used it).
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

This happened to us, but after a while it all came back, so don't fret too much......as you can see from the thread I posted at the time I was not a happy bunny.

viewtopic.php?t=394
Cheers
PC
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ashtondav, nice little town Frigiliana, we spent a Christmas there a few years ago. The place we rented was a right dump but the view we had from terrace was great and town was very cute.

You could have been put into Google's 'sandbox'. A probationary place where they judge your site and its merits/value. Madness I know but the sandbox is very real. I know of someone who spent 8 months in this purgatory and he's running an honest and legit site but just happened to have a lot of traffic and genuine links quickly - not from link farms.

You haven't been dabbling in the dark arts of SEO have you ? :wink:

If the Google-bots are seeing the same site that I'm seeing when I click on the link in your sig then I'm not surprised you've been bumped from Google as it's a holding page. The content is non-existent. Is this a glitch?
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Garri

What do you mean by a 'holding page' as far as i know the page i quoted is my index page to access the rest of my site and is called ..../default.htm. Is this wrong? I have a page rank of 1 and have been on their first page for months. Please tell me what is wrong as i have done nothing except use an editor to create the site - no link farms etc...

Thanks for your time and effort

Tudor

www.frigiliana-apartment.com
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

It looks like a holding page to me, I can't see anywhere to navigate to for the rest of your site????? It actually say's "This is the holding page for your web hosting"

Have you checked it out lately, maybe something up with it? I wonder if it has lost the index.htm page??
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tudor,

Something went amiss for a short time.

When I looked at your website yesterday it most certainly was a holding page. I have just taken another look and I am sure it is now as you intend it to be. Quite different appearance and all links I tried are working.

A blink on your server I guess.

Alan
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Alan

I think my file structure may be the problem. My "../index.htm" page is identical to my "../default.htm" page (the one you get when you click "apartment home page". I think i may be infringing something by doing this as both pages are at the same directory level. I've always used this structure with no problem, have no recollection of why(???) and its never been a problem before.

Could this be the problem? Thanks again to all of you....

Tudor
Garri

Post by Garri »

Tudor,

I just had another look at your site but had to type in index.htm to the end of your root address and I think I can see the Google problem, I stress think. I lost count of how many times the phrase Holiday apartment in Frigiliana appears on your homepage but I'm pretty sure the Googlebots made a more accurate count!

Your keyword density for this phrase is way too high in my opinion and could therefore be seen by Google as keyword spamming, hence your disappearance from their rankings.

Also, the layout and formatting of the bold text for the headings is all over the shop in my browser (FF on OSX)
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Many thanks garri. Believe it or not the keyword density was a result of professional advice!!!!!! Grrrrr....

I will re-design and sort out the other issues you mention and then, well i guess i'll wait a few months twiddling my thumbs and downing G&Ts.....

Thanks to all.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Many thanks garri. Believe it or not the keyword density was a result of professional advice!!!!!! Grrrrr....
Now that is something I wouldn't doubt :wink:

There's a lot of shysters out there. Personally, if I were you, I would be trawling the web for articles on SEO - some of the best info is freely available via numerous bloggers. Read it. And then start to implement it. It's not difficult and if you've already managed to get a web site up and running then you are half way there.

Good luck!
mvus

Post by mvus »

A real classic example of writing fake copy but very funny to read unless of course you are actually interested in renting the place in which case you would go elsewhere. One paragraph of many
"A Frigiliana apartment is fine for a long stay holiday. 1 month is a long stay.
One, two or three month long stay winter holidays are ideal for a long
stay holiday. Long stay holiday guests benefit from special long stay holiday prices
and a leisurely long stay holiday lifestyle in our frigliana apartment. Those
who enjoy a long stay winter holiday will like the mild climate and getting to
know the locals as only a long stay holiday visitor can. In short Frigiliana
apartments provide a great long stay winter holiday for low long stay winter
holiday prices. Email us for further details of long stay holidays
Garri

Post by Garri »

pja, no need to rub it in, I think Tudor gets the point :wink:

Tudor, if you paid money to the so-called SEO 'expert' then I would ask for a refund. Actually I would demand it. His advice may just have got you banned from Google, or ignored. Whichever it is it's not good for your business.

If I were you I would seek the help of a decent web design company and graphic designer and really set about doing it properly. Looking at the competition for your keywords you have a chance of cleaning up, if done right.

It never ceases to amaze me when people, after investing a sizeable amount of money into rental properties abroad, don't invest in a sh!t hot website. Some of the sites I see are a bit like those signs you see up in your local off-license, you know the sort, badly drawn typography in black marker pen on garish fluorescent coloured card: tacky.

If you decide to seek professional help then perhaps post their details here and I will help you evaluate their credentials.
craigkillick

Post by craigkillick »

Try the following for information:

http://www.seomoz.org/articles/search-r ... actors.php

Also a great free program download http://www.webceo.com which can help you optimise your keywords and see who your competitors are.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Craig, have you used the webceo program? I've read the blurb but not entirely convinced by it but will try the free trial anyhow.