French Aerial Photos

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Normandy Cow

French Aerial Photos

Post by Normandy Cow »

There was another post a couple of days ago from someone in the USA discussing aerial photos of their property, and it set me thinking that I would like to get an aerial photo of our house in France.

I found this on the web: http://www.ign.fr/affiche_rubrique.asp? ... &lng_id=FR

Basically, it appears to be a CD-ROM of aerial photos which you can buy for your department, and it claims that each pixel represents 50cm2 of ground - so it must be pretty detailed. (Presumably these photos were taken by satellite, not aeroplane). Each one costs 50 Euros, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Does anyone know anything about this, before I commit myself to buying one - it seems a little too good to be true.

(am also going to post this on the livingfrance forum - someone there may have heard of it. Will update this one if I get any joy there)
paolo

Post by paolo »

I haven't heard of it. I think it is 1 pixel = 50cm on the ground. I wonder what it will look like really, it would be interesting to see. Satellite images never look terribly 'homely' do they?

If I wanted an aerial shot of my properties I think I would take one of those touristic microlight rides and tell the pilot to keep circling my house till I had filled my digital camera.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

You need some control over when the photo is taken. You want sun, the right time of day, an impeccable garden, neatly parked car/s (if any), etc. Satellite photos might get the washing on the line, furniture/toys scattered over the lawn, a grey day or your ugliest visitors comatose around the pool. Try to see it before you pay!
Best,
Alexia.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

ps IGN is the state-run maps organisation: very serious. Still, my previous comments still apply.
Best,
Alexia.
Stu

Post by Stu »

We have a long-term camper on site here at the 'mo, who's completing a microlight pilot's course at La Fleche. I've already asked him to get some snaps of our place from the air!

Failing that, I have a pilot mate who regularly flies in/out of Tours, so I may cadge a lift from him!