Language barriers...

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Maurmc

Language barriers...

Post by Maurmc »

Thanks to listings on sites recommended by LMH'ers, we are getting an increasing number of enquiries from non-English speakers. We're fine for French and German, but we're out of our depth with Spanish! So far, judicious use of Google Translate has helped us muddle through initial enquiries. We're now at a booking stage, so obviously it is more critical that language barriers don't cause misunderstandings. I don't know anyone who speaks Spanish. What do you do?
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
yourlamanga
Location: La Manga Del Mar Menor, Costa Calida, Murcia, Spain

Post by yourlamanga »

You are making me feel very grateful for my agents who look after the place. I know enough Spanish to muddle by in restaurants and shops and can often understand more than I can speak, especially if they speak slowly and I can see their face. About 85% of our enquiries are Spanish so I muddle by with Google translate, no doubt give them a laugh sometimes but when we get to the point of booking my agent sends them a Spanish Booking Confirmation etc which means none of the finer points are lost in translation.
"There are two seasons in Scotland: June and winter.” - Billy Connolly

http://www.yourlamanga.com/index.php
http://bit.ly/aGbQ6n - Homelidays
http://bit.ly/c7O4O9 - HR
http://twitter.com/yourlamanga - Twitter
lorca

Post by lorca »

It would probably be a good idea to learn a bit of Spanish if you´re renting to Spaniards in their own country :wink:

However, if you´re using Google translate, then the best thing is to keep it simple, and translate it back in to English to see if it makes sense.

Having said that, I´m happy to help if needed
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

lorca wrote:It would probably be a good idea to learn a bit of Spanish if you´re renting to Spaniards in their own country :wink:
I've gone to Spanish night classes to learn the basics, but unfortunately it isn't enough to deal with enquiries, especially, as you know, there isn't a "one size fits all" reply! Our annual 3 week holiday in Spain isn't long enough to help either!

I'll keep muddling through cautiously with Google Translate- and thanks Lorca for the offer of help- I might take you up on it :wink:
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
lorca

Post by lorca »

no problem - it might help to have a few standard replies that you can adapt as necessary - happy to help with those too if you like
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Thanks Lorca - I've pm'ed you

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Maurmc,

I've been trying to grapple with a bit of basic Spanish myself, and love this Spanish learning website. Maybe you already know it?

They also have a free app for your iphone with word quizzes (to keep you going while you wait for punters to arrive...)

BBC Mundo has lots of goodies, too.
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Thanks RR, they look useful!

Apartment Mil Palmeras
hurghadasun

Arabic

Post by hurghadasun »

Being based in Egypt we sometimes get enquiries from Egyptians wanting some warmth during the winter months in Cairo and Alex. Some Egyptians are notorious for not looking after other peoples property (not stereotyping as it's well documented).

We give them a stock answer كنت وجود الضحك ، نعم؟

;0)
www.hurghadasun.co.uk

For fun in the sun
Don Ciccio

Re: Arabic

Post by Don Ciccio »

hurghadasun wrote:Being based in Egypt we sometimes get enquiries from Egyptians wanting some warmth during the winter months in Cairo and Alex. Some Egyptians are notorious for not looking after other peoples property (not stereotyping as it's well documented).

We give them a stock answer كنت وجود الضحك ، نعم؟

;0)
مضحك للغاية...
Holiday Almeria

Post by Holiday Almeria »

Thank God for Google translate :)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

رائعة!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

ممتاز
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

أفضل شيء منذ السويس!

مولير

8)

ps when I translate that back into English, it comes out as "Muller" - perhaps in some previous life, I used to tread the corn, or maybe it means "Mullah" - more appropriate perhaps - just don't tell Jean-Baptiste Poquelin! :roll:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
pambon

Post by pambon »

maybe it means "Mullah" - more appropriate perhaps

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll show these to my Tunisian housekeeper when she comes in on Sunday :lol: :lol: