Rental Agreements

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
keywestmodern

Rental Agreements

Post by keywestmodern »

Hi. My husband and I are just starting out. We were wondering about Signed Rental Agreements. Is it good to give a tight legal-ese documents or is it better to be on the casual side?

Also, does anyone use a service that enables renters to "electronically" sign the agreement?

In advance, thanks for your advice, Kim
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We don't bother. The guests submit the rental booking from our site and we email back a booking confirmation. But I think a lot of people do go for signed agreements. I am sure others will be here to comment soon.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We think it makes sense to have an agreement, even if it may not be enforceable. It basically outlines what we expect of guests and vice-versa.

When things go wrong, as they will, it's useful to have something to refer to, especially if there's a security deposit involved.

There are some very sensible, succinct agreements around - ours is over-the-top. If you're non-smoking for instance, think about clean-up costs - we've had this twice over the last winter season. Cancellations can be interesting as well, and your policy needs to be clear.

MG
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We don't bother with signatures either or booking forms...but I do have T&Cs on the booking confirmation/receipt form I email to them and state that payment of the deposit shows acceptance of the T&Cs.

easy-peasy

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Austria

Post by Austria »

When guests make a booking via our website, they agree to the terms and conditions, in making the booking.

Never had to refer to them, but in the event of a cancellation, or late payment, it sets out the obligation on both sides, the deposit acts as an incentive to leave the apartment in good order.
keywestmodern

Thanks so much

Post by keywestmodern »

Hi: really appreciate the replies.

Kim
polly

Post by polly »

Hi I'd send them a booking form with your terms and conditions on and ask them to sign it. It just saves any grey areas so to speak- if people know where they stand before they book, it's probably best, but at the end of the day it's down to personal choice. Good luck!
My Villa in Campoverde Spain