What happens to driving points

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
aillis

What happens to driving points

Post by aillis »

I got done by a speed camera ( concealed car ) and received 90€ fine + one point deduction but I still have Brit driving liecence how do they take the points off. I also had 3 deducted last year for not stoping at a white line 180€ fine previously never had a fine in my life
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

How did they manage to take points off you with a UK licence as the reverse happens and you gain points? I don't think they can, as I don't think a reciprocal agreement on speeding offences between EU countries exists yet, but I expect it to come soon. I've been caught twice for speeding this year with a UK licence, the first was by the gendarmes and their radar, but although I got a 90€ fine, they just gave up on the licence side as they didn't have a clue what to do with a UK licence. The 2nd was by a speed camera in August and I paid the fine, but have not heard anything about points. I now have a French driving licence in the hope that it will slow me down and there are no mentions of any of the speeding offences I'va commited this year on it.
I was a bit disappointed though with it, its a really scrappy piece of pink paper with some sticky back plastic on it, not a patch on the UK european card licences!
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

I was stopped earlier in the year and got a 90 euro fine. At the time I was driving a friends hire care and had my passport and UK licence . I was asked at the time if I lived in France and thought for 2 seconds to say no, but I did not . There then asked to see my CDS and told me that I should have a French, licence, to which I responded that the UK licence was a European one. The police then turned round and said that may be the case but we now have to give you points and we cant do that with your UK one, he told me that I would have to change it.
I left it but after 3 months I got a call from the local police to say that I had to go to see them with all my paperwork which they needed to copy, this I did then a week later I got another call to say I had to go back. When I arrived they took more details was in the office for an hour and at the end of it I was told I had 7 days to change the licence to a French one and had to return to the police station once I had done it. This I did but I must say , they told me I would get 2 points added but nobody has taken the French licence to add anything so maybe its just done on a central register .

This time I had no problem in changing, when we arrived 4 years ago I did try then but was told there was no need , but once they new points had to be added , no problem in issuing a new one. Did not have to pay for it, but you need to be careful if you do change , unless you have a medical then you will not be allowed to tow a trailer or carvan
Nessie
enid

Post by enid »

We were told that if you live here for more than 90 days you had to change to a French licenece. Not difficult to do but be aware that all the categoris don't transfer - we lost motor bike licence and some of the lighter goods vehicles. Kevin got caught by a speed camera and the paper work did have the points loss box marked but it didn't say how many. I paid by internet so I don't know what happened about the points.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I think the law for those coming from a country with a reciprocal agreement and take up residence in France was that they had to apply for a French driving licence during their first 12 months in France. My understanding is that this is no longer necessary.

The problem arises when an offence is committed and a deduction of points is involved. In those circumstances it is necessary to have a French driving licence or to obtain one within a short period. In an extreme case the French authorities will confiscate a foreign driving licence and return it to the country of issue. Surrendering a UK driving licence and obtaining a French driving licence is a very straightforward procedure and is done at your local Mairie.

Alan