How many shall we say it sleeps?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Kaz D

How many shall we say it sleeps?

Post by Kaz D »

Hi

As I mentioned in a previous posting, we are new to this. We've recently bought a 2 bed townhouse in Olvera, Cadiz province.

The house has a strange layout; downstairs is a lounge (with double sofa bed which we inherited from the previous owner) and a single bedroom. On the first floor is a kitchen/diner and a double bedroom with an en-suite, upstairs there is roof terrace with large bathroom (which has shower cubicle plus a bath with shower over). When we do our ad for the rental websites how many people shall we say it sleeps? From a bed point of view 5 people could sleep in the house but whoever sleeps downstairs would either have to go into the main bedroom to use the en-suite or use the bathroom on the roof terrace. We can't really say the single bedroom downstairs is suitable for a child for the same reason so shall we just market it for couples?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Kaz and welcome to LMH.

That does sound a strange layout! I wonder what the thinking was behind that!

I'd market it to couples because of the bathroom situation with perhaps adding the information that you could sleep extra but the bathroom would be 2 floors away. That way people can see what they're getting and decide if they want to raise the numbers.

For the future, is there anyway the layout can be changed?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Kaz D

Post by Kaz D »

Hi Mouse and thanks for the reply. About 5 years ago the kitchen was downstairs next to the lounge but the previous owner moved it upstairs. Actually - although it's an unusual layout, we really like it like that! For one thing, if we want to take food or drinks up to the roof terrace we only have to go up one flight of stairs from the kitchen instead of two if it had still been downstairs.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

what a very odd layout. I'm already doing plans in my head for altering it and I will never see it! i do think that couples is the way to go. we market to couples but have had quite a lot of bookings from people who want to sleep more than 2.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Not so unusual for Spain :wink:

Another option would be to put bunk beds in the single bedroom (if that would work). I know some don´t like them, but it would mean a couple with two children could us it, older kids might lke to use the bathroom on the roof, leaving the parents alone.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I would agree couples. You will probably get as much money and as many rentals as the 'couple and kids' market is peak season only. Plus the wear and tear with kids is definitely more.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com