Any thoughts?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Paul Carmel

Any thoughts?

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi all,

Paolo if you can find a better section for this then please feel free.

Bit of an odd one . . We have been approached by a UK tour operator who has a Corsica programme (as they put it.) What they want is to buy one of our photos for their brochure and web site, they are offering 150 Euros. I am not to happy about just selling it and would rather lease it as I want to continue to use it aswell. I have absolutely no idea if this is possible, and if 150 is a good offer.....Has anyone else done this?
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

From a purely legal point of view, if you took the picture then you have the copyright in the picture.

It is encouraging that you have been approached with a financial offer by someone who wants to re-use it; most people would just take and use a copy.

You don't have to sell the exclusive right to use the picture. There is no problem in giving someone else a right to re-use your picture for their own purposes (excluding re-sale) while retaining your right to use it.

The price is something else - it is something entirely between the two parties.

Alan
centime

Post by centime »

Sounds like way too little, I did some semi professional photographic work in the 1970's with punk groups. Husband is piping up here with 1500 euros is more like it, as when it is gone, it is gone and remember when they buy it they can re-use it, as and when they like. :( A one off reproduction right is more like it - take a look at what other travel photographers are selling their shots for and work out a deal.
mindadowling

Post by mindadowling »

Hi Paul,

If you have taken the photograph then you hold the copyright of the image. Offer this company a one off right to use the image (a usage fee). Make sure to get an agreement in writing that states that they may use the image for a specific purpose in a specific publication, for one time only. This agreement has to be very detailed and specific for usage (i.e.: print, video, tv, etc.). Once they have detailed how they plan to use the image this needs to be added to the contract and both parties need to sign the agreement. If the image is used in print (brochure, catalogue , etc.) they should send you a copy of the item (catalogue, brochure, etc.) to show how it was used. To protect yourself from copyright infringement it is always wise to have a paper trail including all correspondence. I think a fee of £200.00 is a realistic sum (on the low side) but you could try for more. Please make sure that you make it clear that it is for a one time usage in a particular years brochure and that for any subsequent reprinting of the brochure they must renegotiate the usage charge. For more information you could check www.copyright4clients.com (or it could be .co.uk)
A-two

Post by A-two »

Paul,
You could compare prices for images of Corsica being offered by ImageBank.com. The URL for their License Information is http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/ ... cense.aspx If the photo is for a catalogue, they may not be willing to give a photo credit, but that's also negotiable.
Waves from America
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thank you one and all! Joanna thank you for that link, Looks like 200 euros would be about average price. All this is quite flattering :oops:
Cheers
PC
enid

Post by enid »

A well deserved compliment.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I've looked at your site before and just gone "wow!". Same response this time. Not surprised they are interested in your photos. The quality is gorgeous. Which pic are they after?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thank you Christine :oops: :oops: It's the one on the home page with the yellow umbrellas in the for ground
Cheers
PC
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

And there was me thinking it was the one of Seymour ........ :roll:

PS: Don't forget that the average price is 200 Euros. Your pics are above average!