Combi-microwaves - French style

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Ann

Combi-microwaves - French style

Post by Ann »

The time has come for me to replace my combi-microwave and I have spent days looking at the local stores and on the internet.

I have learned that a "four micro-ondes" is not a microwave/oven but just a microwave, and "combiné" may mean micro + grill. When I've found one that says convection, I find that the details say something different.

If I look at the Curry's site - bingo, 2 pages of them but here, it's all chaleur tournante, or chaleur pulsée. Whirlpool has "Crisp". LG has "softwave".

Can someone please explain what these terms mean please? How do they differ from ordinary convection and can I use the same cooking times? Indeed, can I cook the same food?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ann,

If you are looking for a combined micro-wave/grill/fan oven then you should look at the Sharp Platignum Collection Model R-933. It is almost up to the specification of a commercial model (twice the capacity of a normal micro-wave) but without the 2,500€ price tag. It has a computerised control panel, in numerous languages (strangely enough not in English, unless you buy the UK equivalent) and, for me, is the complete answer for anyone wanting to do more than re-heat a cup of coffee.

Alan
Ann

Post by Ann »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for this. I have done a search and according to Ciao! it is not a convection but has "Chaleur Tournante".

If you are using it like a convection oven, perhaps there is no difference and I am worrying unnecessarily.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ann wrote:Hi Alan,

Thanks for this. I have done a search and according to Ciao! it is not a convection but has "Chaleur Tournante".

If you are using it like a convection oven, perhaps there is no difference and I am worrying unnecessarily.
It's a fan oven not simply convection.

The up side is that it is more efficient and has more even cooking. The down side is that you have to re-learn cooking times, they are shorter.

The control panel takes you through all of that and sets power and time according to what you are cooking and how you want it cooked - rare, medium or well done - or you can set it manually, it's up to the user.

After two years of use I remain "sold" on it.

Alan