Pay Pal

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
klompje

Pay Pal

Post by klompje »

I have never used Pay Pal so I have no idea how it works, hence this question. I was discussing ways to pay with one potential client and he said he had a Pay Pal account, does that mean he can pay me via that account even if I don't have one?
fitnessfi

Post by fitnessfi »

I don't think you can use PayPal without an account. It is free to sign up and I feel, a safe way to make online transactions.

You can send the money request via email. I have just started using it for my bookings and found it an massive asset for clients that live far away, such as USA.

There is a 3.4% +20p charge for transactions but you can get the client to pay that, same as a credit card charge.

This website helps you work out how much to ask for http://www.rolbe.com/paypal.htm. Someone on here kindly put that on and its been great help to me.

Not sure if that helps you at all. :)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

If they have a PayPal account and use the "send money" to send to your email address from their PayPal balance (i.e. not a credit card, etc.), and there is no currency change or border crossing for the payment, it means there should be no fee for them or you - you would need to open a free account and verify your bank account and you could then transfer it to your bank account for free.
klompje

Post by klompje »

Just to get it clear then, they cannot send money from Pay Pal instantly into my bank account, I first need to create a Pay Pal account and then I can move the money from that account into my bank account? Sorry to appear thick :oops:
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

yes. That's right - they send to you and it goes into your PayPal account and then you must transfer it yourself into a bank account.
klompje

Post by klompje »

Thanks guys!
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

Hellos FitnessFi

Great site I will use that often!!
Great for guests also to assess if they might have a less costly method of sending their payment
Kate
USA
santamaria

Post by santamaria »

We take PayPal payments for about three out of ten rentals.

I have had a slight niggling concern that may be totally unfounded; what should happen if someone pays by PayPal. Comes for the full duration of their holiday, appears to have enjoyed their holiday and then after leaving raises a dispute with PayPal?

Can or will PayPal withdraw the funds whilst the dispute is being resolved?

I could be anxious for not reason but would love to know if this could potentially occur??
Stay Happy and Keep Smiling
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Yes it can!! But touch wood has not happened to me yet!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

THis thread has some interesting info on Paypal and disputes viewtopic.php?t=12305&highlight=paypal
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

roxytoo wrote:Yes it can!! But touch wood has not happened to me yet!
It can only do it if the money is left in your Paypal account; if it's transferred immediately, there's nothing for them to make a chargeback on, is there?
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

PalPal will then freeze your account (so I'm told) and, if they investigate and if they find in favor of the guest, I would assume you would be liable for the money via the credit card and bank account you have linked to them. This would be the risk in accepting ANY credit card payment however, as I have said many times on this board, I, personally, would never, ever pay for accommodation without using a credit card as there is much more risk to a guest being scammed than an owner. Many Americans will not utilize bank transfers and consider them to be prone to scam artist use only. (I do accept bank transfers all the time, but, offer it as an option and not a requirement.)