ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hi Rainy, and welcome!

We don't really have any kind of points/stars/hats system for ranking forum users, so if you want to thank someone, just do what you did!

(The fact that you know about repping people implies that you've posted on other forums, so I hope what follows doesn't sound too patronizing -- but just in case, I'm going to explain quoting from the beginning. Sorry if you already know this...)

To quote multiple people in the same post, you can copy-paste the parts of their posts you want to quote, and then wrap them in quote tags. To do this:
  • - In the "Post a Reply" screen, you'll see the last several posts in the "Topic Review" below the preview/submit buttons, for your convenience. Scroll through them and copy-paste what you like into the reply box.

- Either highlight the text to be quoted and use the "Quote" button above the reply box, or manually type in quote tags around the text you want to use.
For example, if I want to quote your last post, I'll scroll down to copy-paste it, then add quote tags. It will look like this in the reply box:
  • [quote]Oh and don't tell my other half about the driftwood that sais what my signature sais and the beach hut bunting will you :wink:[/quote]
and when you preview or submit it, it will look like this:
Oh and don't tell my other half about the driftwood that sais what my signature sais and the beach hut bunting will you :wink:
If you want to get very fancy and quote multiple users at the same time but specify who is posting, you can add that to the tag as well. For example, this:
  • [quote="Rainy"]Oh and don't tell my other half about the driftwood that sais what my signature sais and the beach hut bunting will you :wink:[/quote]
will post as this:
Rainy wrote:Oh and don't tell my other half about the driftwood that sais what my signature sais and the beach hut bunting will you :wink:
Just play around with it and don't worry if it doesn't always work. Zorro has rather kindly given you an example, just above your post, of what happens if your quote tags aren't formatted properly (in that case, the quote started with [quote="Rainy" instead of [quote="Rainy"] -- you always need an ending bracket -- so the forum software didn't know it was supposed to be a quote and didn't format it right). Happens all the time, but we all know what you mean! :wink:

Back on topic, I quite agree that you should start advertising now and take acceptable photos as soon as possible, and it sounds like you're already off to a good start! :)
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Aw,that's a handy hint Brooke and thank you. I have been going at it in a much more roundabout way!

Welcome Rainy and congrats on your purchase! May all your guests be good 'uns!! Seriously, best of luck with your new venture and if you have any further questions, you know where to come! Don't forget to check out the country specific area too, if you haven't found it yet, for anything that is exclusively related to the UK - eg tax, rental regs etc.

Please PM me your details as my daughter lives in Ely and adores heading for the Norfolk coast at any opportunity!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

vrooje wrote:Hi Rainy, and welcome!

We don't really have any kind of points/stars/hats system for ranking forum users, so if you want to thank someone, just do what you did!

(The fact that you know about repping people implies that you've posted on other forums, so I hope what follows doesn't sound too patronizing -- but just in case, I'm going to explain quoting from the beginning. Sorry if you already know this...)

To quote multiple people in the same post, you can copy-paste the parts of their posts you want to quote, and then wrap them in quote tags. To do this:
  • - In the "Post a Reply" screen, you'll see the last several posts in the "Topic Review" below the preview/submit buttons, for your convenience. Scroll through them and copy-paste what you like into the reply box.

- Either highlight the text to be quoted and use the "Quote" button above the reply box, or manually type in quote tags around the text you want to use.
For example, if I want to quote your last post, I'll scroll down to copy-paste it, then add quote tags. It will look like this in the reply box:
  • [quote]Oh and don't tell my other half about the driftwood that sais what my signature sais and the beach hut bunting will you :wink:[/quote]
and when you preview or submit it, it will look like this:
Oh and don't tell my other half about the driftwood that sais what my signature sais and the beach hut bunting will you :wink:
If you want to get very fancy and quote multiple users at the same time but specify who is posting, you can add that to the tag as well. For example, this:
  • [quote="Rainy"]Oh and don't tell my other half about the driftwood that sais what my signature sais and the beach hut bunting will you :wink:[/quote]
will post as this:
Rainy wrote:Oh and don't tell my other half about the driftwood that sais what my signature sais and the beach hut bunting will you :wink:
Just play around with it and don't worry if it doesn't always work. Zorro has rather kindly given you an example, just above your post, of what happens if :lol: your quote tags aren't formatted properly (in that case, the quote started with [quote="Rainy" instead of [quote="Rainy"] -- you always need an ending bracket -- so the forum software didn't know it was supposed to be a quote and didn't format it right). Happens all the time, but we all know what you mean! :wink:

Back on topic, I quite agree that you should start advertising now and take acceptable photos as soon as possible, and it sounds like you're already off to a good start! :)

No patronising at all, fantasticly helpful (may take me a few goes though :lol: )

We got in this weekend and binned a load of stuff and had a good clean and its looking much better, the shower attachment isnt working so that must be sorted but actually as it is now is pretty much how alot of the competition rent them. However its still a long way from how i see it.

The carpets are "minging" (sometimes that word is just so appropriate :lol: ) and until we can get them up it won't feel clean no matter how much scrubbing i do. It felt fantastic to be there though, the place is everything we hoped and a little bit more.

It's very much an "old fashioned" British seaside holiday but with bags of charm. My little lad made friends out on the grassy area we all share immediately and it wasn't long before there were 7 kids all building a Brio train track on the verandah (i knew that was the right toy to take there :wink: ) Even though we had lots to do we felt relaxed and the "community" feeling is really nice. A competitive game of crazy golf on a Sunday afternoon and an ice cream and my kids happy for the week anyway :lol:
"May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes"