Kitchen door

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
aasta

Kitchen door

Post by aasta »

Hello
Yet another question!! this might be a dumb one!!!

In the renovation process, I am thinking of not having a door into the kitchen...just an arched doorway.....
We are wondering if this will cause a problem letting guests think that they can wander into the kitchen any time and help themselves???
thanks...aasta
aasta
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It will be interesting to see if any B&B owners respond and say that their kitchen is open plan.

We don't offer B&B but have an open plan kitchen and I read on another thread that you were saying it does tend to get quite chilly inside there at certain times of year: perhaps that in itself is a good reason to keep a door on the kitchen - plus the fact that it gives you some privacy when you're preparing breakfasts.

Even if it's the more simple, continental version you still need to focus on what you're doing, I'm guessing! But then I have never been good at keeping my wits about me when we have visitors!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
brenda

Post by brenda »

Our kitchen is entered by an archway which is a real pain - Guests feel they can wander in at any time.

We are now considering having stable doors attached as people wandering in and out at will has driven us mad this Summer.
pete

Post by pete »

Our kitchen is open plan, the room is large and the kitchen has units coming out from the walls giving a defined area, very rarely do guests wonder in, they may rest on the worktops but usually stay the dining side.

We prepare dinners at 4, all the cold bits and the veggies, all is then cleared and cleaned, we find it works well, we dont need to leave the room if we dont want to,

If we had walls round the kitchen I think that people would enter, even the dog knows he is not allowed in that area.

mrsp does get somewhat distracted as people talk but then she would anyway !
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I am thinking of not having a door into the kitchen...just an arched doorway.....
Whhaaatt? In our B+B back in the UK, we had two closed doors to the kitchen. Even then, guests regularly strode in unless we bolted them from the inside. One American guest came in through the garden door whilst we were eating our supper, sat down uninvited with us and helped herself to food. I was aghast at the time and I'm still aghast at the memory of my favourite apple crumble disappearing into an American tummy.

However welcoming and convivial you are, there will be times when you're feeling tired and emotional and need your private space. Forget the archway - bolts, padlocks, Group 4 guards and a strong electric current are the minimum requirement.

Jim
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

However welcoming and convivial you are, there will be times when you're feeling tired and emotional and need your private space. Forget the archway - bolts, padlocks, Group 4 guards and a strong electric current are the minimum requirement.
You forgot the moat, Jimbo :wink: :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Jimbo, on behalf of my country, I sincerely apologize for such behavior. My guess is that she either now realizes she was out of bounds but would feel silly apologizing so many years later, and/or remembers you as those incredibly generous hosts who even shared their supper with me that day I came in from the garden and was, like, sooooo hungry! One hopes she at least has fond recollections of the apple crumble. :)

aasta, is it possible to design the doorway so that you can have it both ways? I'm thinking of a pocket door that slides into the wall, or of some other design that would allow you to experiment with going intentionally doorless, but then -- in case it turns out not to be a good idea -- attach a door so that it looks just as intentional.
Brooke
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... on behalf of my country, I sincerely apologize for such behavior ...
OK, Brooke. As it's you and as you're apologising on behalf of the entire American nation, I'm prepared to overlook the serious crumble violation on this occasion. But never underestimate the level of attachment between an Englishman and his pudding. What Mrs Beeton has joined together, let no B+B guest put asunder!

Note to Americans: Proper Apple Crumble. 8 inch layer of crumble, tiny smear of apple underneath. Vanilla ice cream or (in the winter) vanilla custard. Less is more.

Jim
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

No, i would say you should have a door. We do not have one and are currently thinking how we could install one.Only yesterday a couple came wondering into the kitchen when i was preparing dinner, i hate to have to tell them to get out; Also if you have children to stay you will find the kids will just wonder in as and when the feel like, even if you have told them 100 times its private
Nessie
pete

Post by pete »

thats why I like ours open plan, folk walk into the room to ask a question and they dont need to enter the kitchen area, there is a definate entrance and they stop naturally at the worktops, ask questions - get answers and in the evenings if we cook we can clear and cook and keep chatter going at the table.

I can see that it would not work in places where you did not sit at the table with guests but it does work well for us,
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

The guest area is upstairs and though the guests do come into the kitchen / dining room for meals, they have to come down the stairs and it seems to be a demarcation line for them. They'll come halfway down the stairs and call me - or just speak to me - but they don't come into the kitchen outside breakfast or dinner times. So far.

However, the downside of having an open plan area if you have animals (cats & dogs) is that it is difficult to exclude them with no doors. A door between kitchen and our sitting room is next on the todo list for OH so that it grants us increased privacy but more importantly I can shut cats and dog out when I need to.