Twin or Double? Does it matter?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Yorkshire Lass

Twin or Double? Does it matter?

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

Hello everybody - I'm a new member of the forum and working hard on getting my property in Scarborough, North Yorkshire ready for the holiday rental market. It's a big townhouse with 6 bedrooms all of which could take either double/kingsize beds or twin beds. I was wondering if I should make it 3 doubles/kings and 3 twins or 4 doubles and 2 twins as I'm sure that quite a lot of the likely market will be families with children holidaying together. I don't want to go the ziplink bed method as I think changing the beds over will be enough work anyway. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Welcome to the forum, Yorkshire Lass

Of our four bedrooms, one is a double and three are twins which can be joined. 90% of the time what is required is that two of these are doubles and the twin is a twin (we also have 2 z-beds for small children). We have only had to join the twins once this year and to divide one of the others once, so actually it hasn't been a constant scene of divide and join!

In your case, with more rooms, I would be inclined to go with at least two doubles and two twins and maybe bite the bullet on the other two, buy ziplink and promote one as twin and one as double and only disclose that they can be otherwise if you get a specific request.

If I were determined to avoid ziplink I would go with two doubles and four twins as it is not a problem to ask a couple to sleep in a twin but can be to ask two mates to share a bed!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have 6 bedrooms in one house and have 3 doubles, 2 twins and a bunk bed. If I could be bothered, I'd change and get one of the twins ziplinked, but it works quite well as it is anyway.
victoriac

Post by victoriac »

We have 7 bedrooms and 2 of them are doubles. Most couples are not too bothered about sleeping in twins and in 3 years we have just had 1 couple decide not to join their friends because they didn't want to sleep in twin beds.
I wouldn't like to have any more doubles as it although some girls don't mind sharing I wouldn't like to suggest it to a couple of boys!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Well I have just "gone live" and have had 5 enquiries so far. I have set my property up as a twin and a double, 3 enquiries out of the 5 wanted two double beds.