French riots, November 2005

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
alexia s.

French riots, November 2005

Post by alexia s. »

I mention the date in the title in case we are in for a series of riots.
Has anyone seen the foreign reporting of the riots? Apart from the fact that the film footage is far, far worse than anything I've seen on French tv, I am dismayed to see the ignorance of well-educated people regarding the geography of France. (I presume that journalists & people preparing material for broadcasting have some training, which today makes them "well-educated".) An American news story last night had a map of France where Nice was tottering around the south-west & Toulouse had retreated north-east to cower just under Strasbourg. It alarmed me more than the footage - where are we all going to end up (or down, for the rest of you)?
I expect a drop in enquiries for holidays in France - for anywhere in France.
Managers of holiday-rental sites please note: a map of France with the départements well-indicated coiuld be essential for many of our foreign guests.
Best,
Alexia.
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

I can only give you my view, after having seen numerous TV reports of sensless destruction and mayhem. I must add that I will be travelling to France next month for a short break (Chamonix) and later on in May (Fort Mahon Le Plage) and I must admit, I hope it's over by then!
The majority of people don't know the geographical difference between Paris and Nice for example, albeit the huge distance, but then again, the rioting has spread all over France, so can you blame anyone for backing off?
I will still be travelling, though only because I belive that Chamonix is relitively safe!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
MadDogWoman

Post by MadDogWoman »

ROFL!

Not sure there are very many deprived areas where unemployment is rife and residents complain of racism and discrimination in Chamonix! :wink:

Sorry, serious subject I know, but I just could not resist. BTW I live near Toulouse!!!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I didn't even hear about the riots until they were in the sixth day. Shame on the New York Times, and shame on me for getting lazy and not checking the BBC or CBC every day...

How are they affecting your every-day lives?
Brooke
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

MDW, I didn't think Nice and Canne were deprived areas either, but they were not spared.
The crux of the argument that most non-residents of France, like me, would not know where is where and where is safe. They simply look elsewhere.
Malta – always in the sunshine!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

There have been about 40 cars burnt in Rennes, but I don't think there is a curfew there as in some other cities for the under 18's. Here in the countryside there is no change at all! The French people I have spoken to are horrified by what has happened, but I haven't seen any UK news, so I can't comment on the slant of world reporting vs the French reports. There were interviews with politicians in the PS and UMP on Tuesday, where the UMP politician got very defensive and said that the UK had no right to judge on the French way of doing things (i.e. non secular) as there had been similar behaviour (although on a smaller scale) in Birmingham recently.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

It's become a joke on Motley Fool! Here are some handy French phrases published in Jokers Corner. Don't know whether joking about it helps your cause or makes it worse.

* Je viens de londres. - I am from London

* Merci de me depanner - Thanks for your help

* Ou est la gare? - Where is the station?

* Qu'est-ce qui se passe? - What is happening?

* Ou sont les pompiers? - Where are the firemen?

* Avez-vous un extincteur? - Do you have a fire extinguisher?

* A quelle heure est le couvre-feu? - What time is the curfew?

* Pourquoi brulez vous ma voiture? - Why are you burning my car

* Avez-vous du feu pour allumer mon cocktail molotov? - Do you have a light for my petrol bomb?

* Les gentils Parisiens ne meritent pas ca. - The nice people of Paris dont deserve all this.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Daily life in rural France is carrying on as usual, but enquiries have dried up, don't know if it's related or not.

Ju
paolo

Post by paolo »

I read today in Le Monde that there have been 20,000 cars set on fire this year in France before the rioting started. Should we be telling potential renters not to worry - this is just part of the culture here?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

paolo wrote: Should we be telling potential renters not to worry - this is just part of the culture here?
Good idea and you could add a guide to "The Dos and Don'ts of Rioting" in your "Things to Do" folder.... :-)

Actually, I wouldn't expect many inquiries from the US at this time of year for anywhere in the world because Thanksgiving is only 2 weeks away, (Nov 24th) which is more important than Christmas and New Year. People are focused on making arrangements to get their families together for that holiday.

Having said that, anyone watching mainstream news recently (CNN, MSNBC, FOX etc.) would be aware of trouble in France, 1400 cars burnt in one night, rioting in 240 towns etc. The US government has upgraded their travel advisory to cover the whole of France, whereas previously it cautioned only against trains passing through troublespots where tourists would not normally go. The Comedy Channel is having a field day - something at last that can't be blamed on the US.

Be safe.
Waves from America
paolo

Post by paolo »

Am I alone in regarding these 'riots' as protests against social injustice, and that unless you are a riot police officer or parked car, there is no danger to life or limb anywhere in France?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

paolo wrote:Am I alone in regarding these 'riots' as protests against social injustice, and that unless you are a riot police officer or parked car, there is no danger to life or limb anywhere in France?
No, you are not alone in recognising the truth.

Alan
MadDogWoman

Post by MadDogWoman »

John Borg wrote:MDW, I didn't think Nice and Canne were deprived areas either, but they were not spared.
The crux of the argument that most non-residents of France, like me, would not know where is where and where is safe. They simply look elsewhere.
Fair comment, but I suspect they do have their fair share of immigrants. I understood that to be part of the issue.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Well, we are not rioting in Corsica..........

Unless you count the 3 speed cameras that were installed last weekend on the island. All 3 lasted approx 6 hours! Shotgun accidents apparently..........Is it a speed camera or a wild boar? (easy mistake to make)
Cheers
PC
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Paul Carmel wrote:Well, we are not rioting in Corsica..........

Unless you count the 3 speed cameras that were installed last weekend on the island. All 3 lasted approx 6 hours! Shotgun accidents apparently..........Is it a speed camera or a wild boar? (easy mistake to make)
I love it - if only we had that attitude in UK! It's poor driving, not speed that kills people; if only the powers that be would understand that and start improving the training facilities, we would start getting somewhere (sorry, personal hotspot).

John