Whitby newbie

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
stace1g

Whitby newbie

Post by stace1g »

Hi to all,

Am I glad I found this forum!

Myself and my wife are very much nervous newbies to this and have been looking at holiday letting to finance our ideal holiday home. We have been renting in robin hoods bay and whitby for the last 10 years or so and have always dreamed of owning one of the old cottages. Robin hood bay has always been out of our reach but whilst on holiday last week in whitby we stumbled upon a place that we love and more to the point that we think with letting we can afford. It is a very small one up one down 18th century whalers cottage that sleeps two tucked away down a very secluded passageway in the heart of whitby. There are no veiws as such but I think this is reflected in the price and there is no parking but this is often the case in whitby. The cottage itself has a lot of period features but is perhaps in need of some moderninsation. The plus side is that it does have a history of letting with an alleged 7k per annum net income. What do you all think, are we being daft or is this a sound investment?

heres a link to the property

http://www.bairstoweves.co.uk/content/0 ... 1284387440

regards

Gary
James3214

Post by James3214 »

I would say go for it Gary. Looks cosy and it seems ideal for letting. I don't know about prices in the area, but it seems quite reasonable. The only problem I foresee is with parking but if that is nearby then if it is let at the right price then I don't see problems with getting money to help you keep the place and be able to enjoy it yourself.
I bought my holiday apartment because I just enjoyed the resort so much and didn't want to rent. I won't get rich from it but it helps me maintain and furnish the place so that I can enjoy it myself at times. Although, I have found these times only in the winter because it is normally booked out fully in the summer!
stace1g

Post by stace1g »

Thanks for that

We were a little worried about the lack of view (looks onto a small but pretty courtyard and then the big wall of next door) and no parking but it is in the heart of whitby and a lot are like this. Having to borrow 70k to buy but this is a relativey small amount these days. Just hoping the property market has bottomed in this area!

Gary
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I would stay there!

I'm a frequent visitor to Whitby (from Newcastle). Regulars are well aware of the parking situation (diabolical!). I stayed at Sanders Yard last time and had a view of other roofs from the velux. Could hear the harbour noises though and smell the sea.

Last time we were there the bridge had just broken down and it is about a two mile drive right around to the other side with the traffic backed right up. I was in withdrawal mode as I couldn't nip from the old town over to the arcades :( The best pubs and shops are on the "old side" though imho. Good luck and don't forget to add your link if it goes through.
stace1g

Post by stace1g »

your right about the parking Sue and thanks for the offer!

We having goinmg to whitby and RHB for about ten years. Mostly RHB in the first eight but now my daughter is getting older she prefers whitby as there is more to do. Stopped at the back of church street last week. no parking as usual and we had 39 steep stone steps up to the cottage. No views from this one apart from the top bedroom which had a beautiful pictur window view of the harbour.

Gary
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nice area, should do well. Might be worth trying to carry a couple of suitcases etc etc from where you might be able to park and see if a solution hits you.

The character of the cottage would be the big selling point for me, but spend on the kitchen - it looks absolutely awful on the agents' details, and probably a nightmare to clean. Definitely not up to the standard that the rest of the property seems, and would make a big difference to where you can pitch. The rest of the place looks lovely

The outside looks charming and attractive, and cosy with the light on in the lounge. Just stick a plant or something in front of the meter box for another photo. I like the look of the place - it somehow gives a nice feeling that makes me want to stay there.

Have a check on the shower room/wc being off the kitchen. It wouldn't be allowed under current building regs :roll: , worth making sure that if you have to apply for change of use in order to rent as a holiday home it's not going to be a problem.

Had you considered/checked out the weekend break market? I reckon the place would be ideal for that. Dog friendly?

Good luck, and keep us posted!
stace1g

Post by stace1g »

Its already been used in the past as a holiday letso the issue about the shower being off the kitchen should perhaps not be an issue?

Agree about the kitchen, that was our first thought. We wernt going to go too daft on spend in this area though as we fell that couples who are the likely target market are only likely to use it very occasionally?

Wnat to do the kitchen with period stuff but there is a good reclamation yard near us in gainsborough.

thanks for the feedback all

I guess i am just looking for a bit of confidence as perhaps you all were when you started out. :) Its not the end of the world if rental is slow at the beginning as at todays mortgage rates i can cover the costs.

Gary
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Gary, we were the same when we started 9 years ago, full of nerves and "will anyone book". Now we take the cottage off rental at the end of October so we can use it ourselves.

If you look on Trip Advisor about properties in Whitby, folk do have a moan about parking, getting luggage up slopes (Abbey Side). I don't know what anyone can do about that, the locals have terrible problems parking and for deliveries too. That main street up to the Abbey is access only. I have some mobility problems but know what to expect as we know the layout of Whitby quite well. I don't know how "up front" the other properties around there are about the parking/luggage situation. Do you know the name it was marketed under so you could look up any previous reviews?

If I had the cash I'd grab it as a holiday bolt hole for myself and count the rentals as extras. You'll always do well with Goths during the Dracula fest!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

stace1g wrote:Its already been used in the past as a holiday letso the issue about the shower being off the kitchen should perhaps not be an issue?
I honestly don't know, and it might depend on whether the property had been "officially" used as a holiday let with the appropriate change of use notification; I don't even know if all local authorities require this. It could well be a non-issue regardless. One for the local solicitor or estate agent.

You will need to think about fire risk. Have a look at this link for a downloadable version of a booklet about the relevant fire safety law. We had to jump through all sorts of hoops, but we converted an old stone barn so it was regarded as a new build, and new build has far more regs!!. BTW - don't be put off by it, it's mainly common sense. The essential thing is to do a risk assessment (not difficult, honest) so that you can prove that you've identified risks and necessary actions.
stace1g

Post by stace1g »

[/quote]

I honestly don't know, and it might depend on whether the property had been "officially" used as a holiday let with the appropriate change of use notification;[/quote]

It had been rented via a letting agency so presumably it had been done officially? I will check though thanks for the heads up. With regards to the RA issue this is something I do a lot of at work so shouldnt be a problem.

Gary
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Welcome to the forums.

I notice it says the property is "under offer". Is that from yourself or has someone else got in?
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
stace1g

Post by stace1g »

Its now sold subject to contract and yes thats me!
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Well done stace, I'm sure you'll have many years of pleasure with it, it looks wonderful :D

As for the bathroom off the kitchen, my daughter has an old Victorian cottage and had a downstairs bathroom added to the back of the kitchen. I think it's quite common where properties only used to have an outside loo.
stace1g

Post by stace1g »

With this porpoerty the kitchen and bathroom are of the 'flying freehold' variety. Very common in this neck of the woods!

Gary
lorca

Post by lorca »

Welcome Gary - it looks delightful and I´m sure with a bit of TLC it will be perfect.

Good luck - I hope it all goes smoothly!