Pool...cleaning the white stone surround

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Mouse

Pool...cleaning the white stone surround

Post by Mouse »

Apologies I don't know the official name for the large white paving stones that surround the pool...but does anyone have a good tip for cleaning them?
Ours a looking a bit grubby now and apart from scrubbing them with a bleach solution (which gave poor results) I wondered how else they could be cleaned.

thanks!

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Sorry can't help with cleaning them Mouse, but they're called Margelles. :wink:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We do ours and the surrounding terrace with a powerful pressure washer. Bit messy but works OK.

Jim
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Pressure washer for us too mousey. It also makes short work of cleaning the plastic 'what-ever-it's-called' which covers the overflow channel around the pool.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Pressure washer (Karcher) for me too, just be careful with the grouting between the tiles.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

We use a karcher pressure washer too
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Pressure washer didn't really work well on ours, and caused a lot of grief with the grouting.

I would also love to know the answer, next year will try hands and knees scrubbing with builders strngth bleach that is used for pointing work....not looking forward to it
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

thanks everyone. I feared it might be a high pressure washer...as we don't have one!
I'll ask around friends and see if I can borrow one when the season is over.
It is amazing how dirty they have become.

Mouse
x
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mouse wrote: It is amazing how dirty they have become.
I have to do mine every week or so - I'm very jealous that yours have stayed white so long!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Weelllllll! I wouldn't say they're white LV :oops:
But luckily they've gone unnoticed by the guests (or rather they've not been commented on). But after scrubbing with bleach every season I actually don't see much of a difference so I knew something must be wrong.

Mousie
x
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Careful if you use the brickwork cleaner, it's hydrochloric acid, and will react with bleach.
Mustbemad

Pool cleaning the white surround

Post by Mustbemad »

For a pressure washer, check out your local area for hire companies.

That way you can get really powerful equipment and don't have storage problems afterwards....

We bought one last year but it was rubbish, you could spit harder than the jet it produced! It went back for a refund.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

For a pressure washer, check out your local area for hire companies.
Don't know about Spain but that doesn't always work here in France. The best local hire companies with industrial-strength equipment will only rent to bona fide professional builders, not to the general public. We had to persuade a local artisan to rent on our behalf when we needed a big dehumidifier. Fine, too, for occasional use stuff but a high quality pressure washer (got to be Karcher - they just keep going) finds a lot of uses during a busy season.

Jim
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jimbo wrote: a high quality pressure washer (got to be Karcher - they just keep going) finds a lot of uses during a busy season.
Jim
Yes, I couldn't do without my Karcher for keeping the pool area, the bikes, my car and other paved areas clean in the summer.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

We have 2 pools here and the older one has margelles and slabs which can be cleaned with a "Karcher", they are not reconstituted stone, but are cement/concrete made to look like stone.
If you have reconstituted stone (pierre naturelle reconstituee) then we have been advised by two local suppliers to never use a pressure washer as this will damage the surface and allow more dirt to enter the following season. They suggest just a normal housepipe and lots of elbow grease !
I am about to lay the margelles and terrace in reconstituted stone so I will probably use a hydrofuge protection before the autumn leaves start to fall.
What would Plato do ?