building regs - proximity of toilet to kitchen

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
stace1g

building regs - proximity of toilet to kitchen

Post by stace1g »

I am in the process of purchaisng a holiday let in Whitby and it turns out that the current owner had perhaps not let the cottage on an official basis - he admitted as much on his property questionairre and when I made checks on the relevent govt websites I could not find any mention of the property being assessed for business rates - so sale process on hold so that I can make appropriate enquiries!!! :x there is an issue I am concerned about which relates to the fact that the toilet is very close to the kitchen (right next too it and only one door inbetween)

I have checked on the issue of the proximity of the toilet to the kitchen and cannot find a definitive answer. For domestic dwellings it appears that the two door rule no longer applies - you just need one door between a toilet and kitchen with suitable washing facilities inside the toilet area. The situation is not so clear for properties that are going to be let - does anyone have a definitive answer?

Gary
regards

Gary
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you do not get an answer here ask a general enquiry at the local planning office.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
the chefs

proximity of toilet to kitchen

Post by the chefs »

Generally the rule of thumb is that there should be a least two doors between bathrooms/toilets and kitchens.
You will never fail till you have stopped trying.