Terror threat affecting London bookings

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Londoner

Terror threat affecting London bookings

Post by Londoner »

The USA and now France have issued warnings about an imminent terror threat on London. I have had my first cancellation as a result :(
The guests from Paris had booked 4 nights in November and I was waiting for the deposit, the lady then called me to say that the French government has announced to be extra vigilant if travelling to London. As they were travelling with two young children they decided to cancel.
I have also read that the Americans searching for holidays to the UK is down 40% in the past week.
Anyone else affected? I don't blame people to be cautious but this is all we need.

Londoner
J&J

Post by J&J »

That's annoying, Londoner, that you should lose a booking and that the family should give up on their holiday to London. It appears that "le risque d'un attentat est fort probable," but judging by the number of French and German tourists in town I would be surprised if traveling has been too badly affected.
Sky News seems to be the channel concentrating most on this story at the moment, the BBC approach is far more measured, and I wonder whether viewers abroad watch mainly Sky?
I guess there will always be those who will just get on with life, and those who will err on the side of caution. Maybe this family thought that bringing children over wasn't a good idea at the moment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

uphf. well...if it makes you feel better, I just booked my flights over from the US and they haven't dropped a cent and the plane is full...and no one I know here in the US has even considered canceling plans. I would think US travel is down this time of year anyway to Europe? (Thanksgiving holiday 4th week in Nov. and most people stay home in the US with family for that one since it's only on Thursday off...and then kids aren't out of school until Christmas) I'm really surprised if it was down just because of that warning - it was not a huge news item here - just a mention once last weekend as an afterthought almost. (I heard about it first and more often on BBC and France24) I guess I figure, it probably isn't any more dangerous there than here in NYC - I think most Americans feel the same.