Buildings and Contents Insurance

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Chequers

Buildings and Contents Insurance

Post by Chequers »

Hi
We are currently using Intasure for our holiday home insurance in Pembrokeshire but they have added a clause about heating having to be left on constantly at 15 degrees or above during Nov-Mar or we have to turn off water completely. So we are looking elsewhere. Our property has a metal roof, so Schofields won't insure us. Any other ideas on companies. Intasure is a good rate at only £253.45, but the cost of leaving heating on so high will add to that. And we can't rely on cleaners to turn water off.

Thanks
Sue

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/133580
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We use NFU; they seem to understand the business.

I suppose I can see the thinking behind a minimum temperature clause (although what happens if the heating packs up - power cut perhaps - and frost damage results?), but 15C seems very high to me, especially as most domestic frost stats kick in at a much lower temperature than that.
Still, there's no understanding insurers!
Windy

Post by Windy »

GB - we spoke to NFU but unless you insure your house via them too they weren't interested.

Chequers - do let us know if you find any reasonably priced policies with decent cover levels and reasonable exclusions.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We use LetSure - can't give any more info than that I'm afraid as OH deals with that :)
Annew

Post by Annew »

I'm really surprised that NFU weren't interested Windy. We've found them excellent and have insured with them for 12 years (but we do cover the farm and house and the Landy with them too).

Perhaps you could try an alternative regional office - we have 3 within hitting distance from us in Devon.

Chequers - I too would be interested to hear whether you come up with any good alternatives as I am always looking for a better deal.

There is a clause in our NFU insurance terms and conditions that requires a frost setting on the central heating, but then given that we've had 2 winters on the run when the outside water pipes have frozen I think that's quite fair. A friend of mine with a holiday cottage in our village had a disaster this January when the shower froze (she had gone away and turned the heating off) causing huge amounts of damage when the thaw came.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Chequers

Post by Chequers »

Thanks for everyone's posts.

Been caught up with kids this week, so no chance yet of contacting NFU but I will try and let you all know.

I don't mind keeping on frost setting. That is what we have always done (5 degrees). but we just find the 15 degree stipulation excessive, hence looking elsewhere. Having a metal profile roof isn't helping though and as the property is in a national park, we are not allowed to replace it with anything else....

Sue

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/133580