Amount of towels for guests

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
courch1850

Amount of towels for guests

Post by courch1850 »

Hello everyone,

We are considering using our own towels and sheets etc. for coming season and having them cleaned professionally instead of the ones provided by our agent.

For costs calculations I was wondering how many towels everyone provides for their guests? And which percentage do you have left at the end of a season (in good enough condition to use again)?

Our apartment is in Courchevel, a ski resort. I can imagine guests taking a shower more often (e.g. in the morning and after the skiing).

Your help is much appreciated!

Best wishes,

Michael
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I leave one bath and one hand towel per person plus a pool towel.
If your guests have the space in their room or bathroom tohang the towels to dry and if they have access to a washing machine, I wouldn't leave more than one large towel per person. But... for an average of 4 guests at at time I have at least 12 of each so that changeovers and eventual ruined towels can be taken into consideration.
In 2 years I have had one bath towel badly washed so now its a completely different colour that's all.
Bonne continuation!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Our guests get one hand towel, one bath towel and one pool towel apiece - although one guest recently complained that the bath towel was too skimpy for her - I've never met the lady, so I couldn't possibly comment.

Ours seem to last 3 or 4 years more or less - in the Sud de France, in summer, people also shower regularly, and the towels seem to stand up to it OK.

Best of luck etc . . . but can I put in a plea for the sake of the English language - "NUMBER of towels" . . . please, pretty please?

("Amount" refers to a quantitave but innumerable figure, such as an amount of sand or an amount of rice; when we are talking about specifics, it's "a number". Sorry, but it drives me mad.)

Moliere
Last edited by Moliere on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Bath towel and hand towel per person. I'm on my second set of towels in 5 years. I'm also in a ski resort.
courch1850

Post by courch1850 »

Thanks ccazes, HelenB and Moliere!!! Very useful information!

Sorry Moiliere for the style-fault. as I am Dutch I didn't know. But good to know though :-)

Michael
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

One bath towel (150cm x 100cm), one hand towel. The kids rarely use the hand towels.
What size are your bath towels, Mols? I like a sheet, anything else is too skimpy for me too (I'm tall, not fat;))
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I leave one bath and one hand towel per person plus a pool towel.
If your guests have the space in their room or bathroom tohang the towels to dry and if they have access to a washing machine, I wouldn't leave more than one large towel per person. But... for an average of 4 guests at at time I have at least 12 of each so that changeovers and eventual ruined towels can be taken into consideration.
In 2 years I have had one bath towel badly washed so now its a completely different colour that's all.
Bonne continuation!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Déja vu Ccazes! I get it, you're just seeing whose paying attention! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

mince alors....
don't know what happened there!
I must be click happy tonight.... :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

GG, should that be who's rather than whose?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yup - that was a test too! (not!) :lol:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

la vache! wrote:GG, should that be who's rather than whose?
I seem to have started a trend!

Thank you Courch1850 for your kind response, obviously I didn't know you were Dutch (which is itself a compliment to your English) so I am very pleased if I have assisted you.

By the way, I have fond memories of a ski-week spent in C1850 - nice place (apart from the "Couloir des Belges"!)

LV - our bath towels are the same size as yours (I think - they're in France, I'm not -alas!)

Moliere :D
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We provide 1 bath towel and 1 guest towel per guest but also provide swimming towels and sauna towels (same towels, different purposes) on demand. We change them on request although not less than 3 days between changes for the apartment towels. We are on our second batch of towels in just over 5 years. Sadly, our King of Cotton towels are now in a worse state than the Dunelm ones were when we replaced them - although the Dunelm towels are a bit small. I would go for Dunelm bath sheets next time.
courch1850

Post by courch1850 »

Thanks everyone!

So the general consensus is 1 bath towel + 1 bath sheet + optionally an additional bath sheet for pool / sauna / etc.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Just for clarity Courch1850, do you mean one bath towel or bath sheet and one hand towel? That's what I understood the consensus to mean. That's what we provide too.

Still thinking about whether or not to provide pool towels to all - currently these are only made available to some, depending on their travel circs.