Our offer has been accepted

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Hi Val

It's the effect of the FHL changes on allowances that might be worth a good look. I can't remember the details, but there's a date after which the treatment of start-up expenditure will be far less favourable; a good reason to spend loads of money asap! That's really going to hit people considering going into the business in the near future, but you should have time to avoid the trap.

Don't get depressed about the scams! If you know they exist, then you know there's a likelihood that you'll get some, which is the best defence. There's always really useful information on LMH on the latest, and good stuff on how to spot a scam. Basically, if an email is the least bit niffy, be suspicious and post it up on LMH for others to have a look. After a while they almost (but not quite) become amusing - a sort of "how many honeymooning Greek priests can you fit into one bed?" competition. Some are rather more subtle, of course.
Val

Post by Val »

Thankfully we seem to have bought nearly everything we need now; it's all piled up in the house and garage here - looks like Steptoe's yard!
The only major thing we've got left to buy is a telly,so we're hoping to pick up a bargain really soon.
Val

Completed!

Post by Val »

We completed on 28th Jan and today went live on Sykes website. (Ref 5384 if anyone wants a look). There will be more pictures added, as the day they came to do the photos, not all the rooms were quite ready, and it wasn't a good day for taking outside pictures either.
Now we're waiting for the bookings to start rolling in!! I feel a bit nervous about getting our first guests and whether they'll be happy with it.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It looks great Val so congrats and the best of luck in your new role!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Sykes is the best of agents that cover nationally. They are streets ahead with new ideas and appear much more keen to serve cottage owners well than some other national services.

Good luck with the new venture.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Val

Post by Val »

Thanks for this.
We'll probably give them a go for a year and see how we do.
The service has been good so far; they're very switched on when you phone up, very helpful. It'll be interesting to see how many bookings they get us. However I'm prepared to withdraw if not satisfied with the level of bookings, and go it alone.
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

The service has been good so far; they're very switched on when you phone up, very helpful.
That is the key with using an agency. The moment you begin to feel you don't matter to them as an individual client, they will lose you, so I hope they keep that service up.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
Val

Post by Val »

Thanks for this.
I've also just read the piece in cottageblogger about promoting the idea of Barbequeing while on the cottage holiday- what an excellent idea. My husband and I have spent this morning assembling quite a big picnic bench , as it happens, ready for our Spring and Summer guests. And we will definitely be including a BBQ in the shed, together with a bag of that instant lighting charcoal.