Our new room

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
pete

Our new room

Post by pete »

After 6 weeks of rubbing banging in nails and painting we have finally finished our new room, its our smallest room but still large enough to take 2 twin beds 190x90, 2 chairs a dressing table, bedside table and will have a chest of drawers once Jayne gets to the shops.

There is a new private shower room just across the corridor which is also very nearly finished.

We hope that having another room for next year may save us time and work as a lot of time in the summer months is spent making up put up beds and taking them down again, we hope this way we can accommodate larger families in 2 rooms.

We had to move the wall of the blue room to create enough space and have used up the mezzanine sitting area, so I am now finishing painting the blue room and the new hall. We thought that as, in the 3 years, only 2 couples actually sat in the reading area on the mezzanine we would not effect the business.

I have uploaded some pics of the room, I have no knowledge of how to tweet them but would value your opinion of which you would use if they were yours,

http://www.grandcoudray.com/yellowroom.html

thank you

pete
enid

Post by enid »

It looks lovely - only comment is I think I would move the dressing table over a bit so that the chair doesn't look too squashed in. Then I would def use one with the dressing table and chair and the two beds with chair.
CSE

Post by CSE »

2 twin beds 190x90
Do you mean single beds?

You are very luck that the laws in France are more relaxed then the ones in Galicia, Spain. We cannot have head-heights so low for the guest rooms. But it does add that bit more of an appeal to the house especially if it is old.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you both,

I have taken 2 more photos of the dresser, moving it to the middle, it is to the side as there is a pole for hangers in the corner but there is still room to hang a dress or two.

The beds are 2 singles, my intention is to market it as a twin room, I shall try to be careful about the words.

The room is actually 2.6 m high in most of it and I can walk round both beds and I'm 5'9" so its quite roomy, the surface area is 3.45m x 3.2 with the alcove 1m x 1.4, do the pics make it look too small ?

Its interesting about the laws, here we can keep features so the sloping ceiling and beams can stay but if we did a new build we couldn't, a barn conversion in the champagne area had to hide all the old bits and comply with regulations you really dont want to know exist.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I think it looks lovely. And it should work well as a family suite with the other room. One thing I would say about the chair on the right - I always read in bed so I'd rather have a bedside table alongside the bed than a chair. But that's just me and as someone else pointed out (in a different topic) in a twin room it's possible to site the bedside light between the beds as you have done.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Lovely place altogether! I really like how you have the rooms labled by color also.
Beautiful new room, congratulations!

Would be a place I would like to stay.
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I think taking out an unused mezzanine and adding another room is a fabulous idea, and the result is cozy and charming.

I like the fifth photo, which shows both beds, bedside table with light, and the chair. If I had the energy to take it again, I might use a slightly longer exposure time and arrange the lamp cord so that it trails off the back of the table rather than the side. (But the cord is a tiny detail, only worth pointing out if you're already going to take more shots.)

But, is it possible to get an even wider shot of the room somehow? Even if you have to stand to the side and put the camera almost against the wall, it would be worth it to have more of the room in one shot.

I also like the shot of the table/chair with the bed at the bottom of the frame (#10), but it's not very bright and I'd try to re-take it so that the window was also in the shot. Maybe portrait rather than landscape?

I hope the bookings for this room come pouring in soon!
Brooke
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

The problem with smallish rooms and modest wide angle lenses is that the room ends up looking more cramped than it is in reality. And that's the problem here. The solution might be to use a wider lens or to take a series of overlapping images and merge them in appropriate software. Expensive photoshop does the job effortlessly but there are free merging programmes available on the web.

Of course, it's a fiddle shooting the overlapping pix and time-consuming getting up to speed with the software but nothing like the amount of effort that Pete/Mrs Pete have already put into preparing this new space for letting. Failing that, I'd agree with Brooke that picture 5 is the one to run with.

(Pete - meant to be helpful rather than critical. Hopefully, you won't be able to repeat the shots because the room is already stuffed with guests 24/7).

Jim
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

And one other thing I meant to say earlier and forgot: if you use a dressing table shot, rather than bottle and glasses on the dressing table, I'd have a small bowl / vase of flowers. That would look prettier reflected in the mirror. Alternatively maybe a carafe and glass if you have one.
pete

Post by pete »

if you use a dressing table shot, rather than bottle and glasses on the dressing table, I'd have a small bowl / vase of flowers
mrsp liked her christmas flowers !

I have redone the pics to the best of my ability and taken some of the blue room as its a bit smaller now and has been redecorated, no brownie points for spotting a, the spots (how on earth that happened I dont know) or b, the bit of paint that didnt happen !

http://www.grandcoudray.com/yellowroom.html

not sure if they will look better once on the website page as the pixels will be less and show less blemishes, hopefully,

Forgot to hide the trailing wire but will do so once the new year bookings are over,

many thanks for imput and nice words,

hny

pete
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Beautiful! I'm sure you'll have lots of bookings!

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Both rooms look very pretty Pete. I know that the shot below was taken from a raised position but felt it still needed straightening a bit. I had a go but of course it has lost some of the detail in so doing: it would be worth re-taking this one I think - using a wide angle lens as Jim says if you can, or doing clever joins, which I haven't been able to master yet.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Image Image

Much better, pete. Now only needs a couple of minutes of simple work in an editing programme to brighten the image and remove the defects.

Jim
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you both, and thanks Jim for the sites for editors.

I have managed with 'Phieha' to work out how to remove blemishes and contrast and lightness, its quite amazing. I have not managed however to do more than change the image rotation by anything other than 90 or 180 degrees, but never mind.

I have now sent mrsp to make up all the rooms, clean the hall and book area so we can have new pics ! watch the space,

forever grateful,

Pete