Update-added youtube video, good idea? NarrowsCottage

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I (Ian) have been delving.
The main photo has got two td cells, one either side.
The Left hand side reads-
<td width="330" background="http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/site ... spacer.gif" class="user subhead">&nbsp;</td>
I would suggest a change to the width to read in a percentage or at least less than 330px
The Right hand side reads-
<td width="100" background="http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/site ... spacer.gif" class="user subhead">&nbsp;</td>
Experiment with the changes on the left.
I also prefer the lighter grey, but i would change it to read something like 7px for the main photo and less for the smaller ones. 4px maybe?
I like your idea of changing just a few items at a time so we can see the differences.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Thank you Ian! The reason those pixel sizes were chosen (since I know NOTHING about this sort of stuff) was by trial and error. At first I could not get the picture to center in the browsers of FireFox and Chrome, so the staff at Register.com suggested I insert a table. Since I didn't know that the regular width of a moniter or screen... is 760 pixels I had used the random numbers of 500, 500, and 500 for the 3 boxes in the table in hopes of centering the middle. Therefore as you would no doubt know that made my screen view twice as wide as was good. So I changed it and it keeps wanting to go left unless I have the left box at around that size, I was trying to keep the pixel total less than the 760 therefore the varying sizes.

So longwinded way to throw myself at your technical feet and say what should I do ? should I change it again, what percentage should I try?

Thank you for your help,
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
CSE

Post by CSE »

Here is a screen shot of your first page in FF using Ubuntu.
http://browsershots.org/screenshots/83d ... 83359c1291
I am using Windows with FF and see the same small error. If means a lot of work to change things then I would leave it be.
If I were to change it then I would put a div in a div. But I do not know if that can be done with you provider. I can see that a lot of your coding relies on the CCS but unrevealing that is not going to be done with a few hours work.

What does anybody else think?
Wendy@NorthIdaho

So it looks like I should keep trying to move the main photo to the left a bit? I think I can do that, unfortunately I can't move the very top headline! I don't have any control over where that seems to go, but on my browser it is all on one line and on yours it's on two...

Some of this seems to be variable to the computer and browser different people are using, is it possible to actually make it look good for everyone?

Thank you!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
CSE

Post by CSE »

On my actual PC it is on one line too.
But I have a gap of @108px of green banner below the text.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

I just tried to shift several things more to the left to try to get away from it being too wide. Also, tried to make it so people wouldn't need to scroll so far down to get to the bottom of the page.

Hopefully an improvement? Opinions appreciated!

Thank you Ian for your help,
Wendy
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I'm back on my non-widescreen pc now.

Without scrolling across what I see for example is:

Lakefront North Idaho Vacation

Water Front - Only 13 Miles From Silverwood Theme

(and the rest cut off at the same distance across).
Sorry I can't help with any technical advice.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Thank you Dotty, does the screen want you to scroll across? Hmm, wonder why it's doing that?

Maybe the solution is to try and find a template that is self regulating/sizing?? Not too excited about that prospect as I've been working on this now for quite a bit. But may be needed!

Thank you for letting me know!

Wendy
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Hi Wendy,

Yes The scroll bar appears at the bottom of my browser window with your site - its not there if I'm looking at a site which fits OK. I can drag it across to see the right hand edge of the layout, so it looks as if its all there, just not sized right for the window.
With the scroll bar over to the right I loose the menu box on the left hand side and for example the text under the photo starts with 'ttage lakehouse...'
(By the way I'm using Mozilla Firefox on a linux system)

Dotty
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Thank you so much Dotty for letting me know. Do the technical experts think I should just scrap this template and try to find a different one? too many errors with this one?

Thanks for your help, definitely couldn't do this with out you!
Wendy
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

This must be driving you mad, but I've just noticed also that of the three small photos under the first text section, the first one is slightly lower than the other two - I think thats because the caption above it has split over 2 lines so pushed the photo down.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Yes, crazy land is right around the corner! :D

Thank you, I'll see if I can fix the caption.

I appreciate you letting me know,
Wendy
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

It's wider now than it was earlier today Wendy........
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Kathy, I just went in and made the tables smaller percentage wise. One of the problems is that when I get it looking good on explorer it doesn't look right on FF, etc... so I then change it on FF, etc.. and you get the picture!

I may go to the hosting site and ask them to let me know which templates will automatically size to the monitor or whatever it's supposed to do! when I talked with them they said they couldn't tell me how to tell which did that! Maybe a supervisor could be of help...

Thank you so much, not sure what I must have done to re-mess it up. Hopefully that fixed it a bit?

Wendy
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Hi Wendy

I know you've done such a lot of work on the site and have responded to everyone's suggestions with such enthusiasm, but I am thinking I might stick my neck out here and suggest you start over with another platform. Have you thought of using Wordpress? Maybe stick this one out until the end of the season and launch again for 2012. Just a thought but this template you have seems quite labour intensive.

I guess the key question to ask is: Is it working for you? Are you getting lots of traffic? Are they converting to solid bookings? How many visitors a day and what pages are they visiting?

I know Richard has been giving you lots of advice on the Renting for Profit forum and he'd probably be more than happy to offer more if you decided to jump to WP. I'll be on the RFP forum anyway if you want to discuss it more.

Cheers
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru