Eh?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Eh?

Post by Sue Dyer »

We're spending New Year in France, will be in Calais on 31st. The Calais tourist office website helpfully shows which restaurants are open on the night and menus. I am baffled by this which is obviously a mis-translation:

The dinner on 31 of December will take place with a festivity atmospher but without underpetticoat and whithout possibility of dancing

Anyone like to hazard a guess for the underpetticoat bit?? :)

Ha! I've gone into the French site and copied this but I don't know enough to translate it:???

Le repas du 31 décembre se fera dans une ambiance de fête mais sans cotillon ni possibilité de danser.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,

If you read it as meaning "without party accessories" you will be nearer the mark. I don't suppose they mind if you wear a petticoat or not.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thanks Alan! Dave was a bit worried about the petticoat bit as he's given all of his away :)
oskar

Post by oskar »

Could it be Dirty Dancing! :?: :wink:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Teehee! Maybe the room is so small that they can't afford to have the women show up in puffy skirts that take up a lot of space. ;)

In english I usually hear the word "cotillon" as it relates to a dance where girls are formally introduced to society (also known as a debutante ball). I looked it up in the dictionary:

1. A formal ball, especially one at which young women are presented to society.
2.a. A lively dance, originating in France in the 18th century, having varied, intricate patterns and steps.
2.b. A quadrille.
2.c. Music for these dances.

Just an interesting tidbit. If I had to guess I'd say 2.c. is closest? But of course, I'm sure Alan knows best.
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yup, Fluffy's right - by party accessories, they mean confetti, streamers, paper hats etc. I must have the same dictionary.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be