Gite de France - is it worth it?

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
the lavender house

Gite de France - is it worth it?

Post by the lavender house »

We're a newly opened B&B in Poitiou-Charente, France.

We've registered on owners direct and wonder if registering on Gite de France is worthwhile and if there any pitfalls, we've heard tax is increased if advertised on GdF?

Love the forum, already learned a lot from reading old posts.
Always look on the bright side.

http://www.thelavenderhouse.eu
pete

Post by pete »

Hi and welcome,

I think the benefits of GDF depend on your area, we registered 3 years ago and immediately doubled our more senior french trade and now this one of only 2 listing sites that we pay for. I am sure that if we hadnt done so our trade would be much lower, especially so in the early days.

If your department levies Tax sejour then your grading may take you up a bracket as it does depend on your grading, our department does not levy TS. A quick look at your website prices and, in this area, you would expect a 2 epis for those rates, so your tax S may not increase, if indeed that is the tax you are referring to.

We had to pay a fee to be inspected, and then the first year subs so it was expensive to start with, some other people we know were not accepted as they were not fluent in french but I think that also depends on department somewhat.

I wish you luck,

pete
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

We've always been with GdF (nearly 7 years now) because the previous owners of our place were.

It's been good for us as it brings a large portion (couldn't say how much as we're not at home at the moment) of our French business directly, either through its guides or website or indirectly as for the French its a quality mark that appears to be better than nothing at all.

That said, as Pete says, some departments aren't keen to take you if your French isn't reasonable and there's no national pricing structure for being a member.

Bon courage,

Jan