duvets- down or synthetic

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
ruthiebabe

duvets- down or synthetic

Post by ruthiebabe »

Hi, this is my first post. Currently getting our holiday cottage refurbished and equipped to let and considering what duvets to buy. We'd like to provide quality mattresses, linen and bedding and I am considering down with a synthetic alternative available on request.

What do you all use?

Any thoughts on tog? I was considering the combination 9tog+4.5tog ones.

Thanks for your help and see you around!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi fairlylocal ruthiebabe and welcome :-)

We provide hypoallergenic all seasons duvets 9 + 4.5 as you suggest. :lol:

We do add/remove them as the weather changes. AFAIK the guest never bother with adding or removing the 4.5 bit themselves.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Windy wrote:Hi fairlylocal ruthiebabe and welcome :-)

We provide hypoallergenic all seasons duvets 9 + 4.5 as you suggest. :lol:

We do add/remove them as the weather changes. AFAIK the guest never bother with adding or removing the 4.5 bit themselves.
Hi even more fairly local ruthiebabe!

Pretty much the same as Windy. All seasons duvets, and if they're hypoallergenic you're not going to have issues with guests with feather allergies; keeping down and synthetic available takes up a lot of space! We do have both types of pillow available.
ruthiebabe

Post by ruthiebabe »

Thanks both. More local than you think as we now live in Kendal:-)

Good advice, still fancy down...but you can't really not offer synthetic.

Any thoughts on mattress protectors? New quality mattresses but can't bear the thought of anything waterproof :-(
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Have a look at Out of Eden. Trade suppliers, (very local to you I believe) and they have a range of protectors. I have the quilted waterproof ones on my lovely new bed! No rustling and do the job a treat.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

My first renters said that they really thought I ought to have waterproof matress protectors for all the beds for those 'ladies accidents' as they put it. They were French, completely charming and had been asked for their advice. I had bought a few thinking of kids, but not ladies!

I had always hated these, as I have hideous memories of sweaty nights, but I have since bought some excellent ones, and you have no idea, until you look at the underside that they are waterproof. I have mentioned these on another thread, and when I get round to it/find the funds, I will do as they said, since replacing stained matresses (urgh) is clearly the more expensive option.

I've found the other thread -
I have them on my kids beds, mostly for spilt drinks rather than anything else.

Recently I have been very grateful for them as a friends kitten has been staying with us and has done its business on every bed in the house. So the kids beds came off best. I got mine from either King of Cotton or Out of Eden. I cant remember which, but they don't rustle and I had forgotten that they had any kind of waterproofing in them, but it really worked!

They are Velfont, basic quilted pad fully fitted 100% cotton fabric (now reading off packaging).

I really recommend them.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nemo wrote:Have a look at Out of Eden. Trade suppliers, (very local to you I believe) and they have a range of protectors. I have the quilted waterproof ones on my lovely new bed! No rustling and do the job a treat.
Another vote for Out of Eden. They have a trade counter where you can have a look at the protectors - they're pretty much as wallypott describes. They're located just beyond Kirkby Stephen on the A685 to Brough. Nice people.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

As a guest I am always impressed with down. I hate heavy synthetic duvets.
In fact it was a major factor in re-booking a place once.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Now if money were no object silk would clearly be the best of both worlds. I love mine!
Hypo allergenic, warm, cool, natural antiseptic properties etc.
millbrookcottages

Duvets

Post by millbrookcottages »

Hi, we use Christy Just like Down duvets and pillows and get fantastic feedback and guests phoning up asking us where we buy them. You can get them in Christy factory shops!

Kate
Award winning romantic Self Catering in Devon for Couples www.millbrookcottages.co.uk

Twitter: @Millbrookestate
www.facebook.com/millbrookestate
Annew

Post by Annew »

As I have two very asthmatic family members, we decided to go synthetic. But, buy the best - from experience, the duvets we bought originally only lasted 2 years. We now have 9 tog from Musbury Fabrics and Eden - all wash and wear well. We decided not to go for an extra 4.5 as our cottages are terribly well insulated and heated 24 hours a day during the winter.

I have a Christy just like down in my spare bedrooms in the house - they are very toasty and all of my house guests love them, but DH and I tried one with our Tempur mattress we just boiled in our sleep!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
ruthiebabe

Post by ruthiebabe »

Many thanks to all who have replied. Very useful.

What do you all think about tog? I wondered about the combination 9+4.5 but wonder if a 10.5 might be a year round compromise, it's a stone cottage that's well heated in winter by CH and wood burner.

Too hot in summer perhaps?

Thanks for tips about suppliers too

Ruth
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

ruthiebabe wrote:Many thanks to all who have replied. Very useful.

What do you all think about tog? I wondered about the combination 9+4.5 but wonder if a 10.5 might be a year round compromise, it's a stone cottage that's well heated in winter by CH and wood burner.

Too hot in summer perhaps?

Thanks for tips about suppliers too

Ruth
We've just had guests who specifically requested a 4.5 tog duvet (knowing that we had the 9+4.5 combo). This in February in Cumbria. Okay, the places are very warm and well insulated but....... There again, in summer there's no way I'd sleep under a 9.5 and would definitely want the option of a 4.5.
Annew

Post by Annew »

maybe you could supply a 9 but but add a heavy weight throw/beadspread?
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!