can someone please help with Gite rules

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
pujols

can someone please help with Gite rules

Post by pujols »

when compiling a list of rules
what needs to be on the list for clients to note ?
this would be helpful and interesting
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

The first thing, I'd advise is not to have a list of "rules" !

Generally, one wants to sound helpful and welcoming, so anything that enables the guest to make best use of the facilities (e.g. how to switch on the oven) and location (e.g. where to buy insect repellant) should be included.

If there are any warnings (e.g. slippery pathways) or similar then include these as well.

Its more about the property and the use of it, than "thou shalt not make a noise" - but by all means add any references to behaviour which you feel are needed - and I mean absolutely needed.

Remember its a holiday home, not an institution.

... thats my 2c
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Agreed Richard, and people go on holiday to relax not obey rules.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

e-richard wrote:The first thing, I'd advise is not to have a list of "rules" !
Me too. I can think of nothing more off putting than going to stay somewhere which has a list of rules, or even worse, rules in different parts of the house (e.g. thou shalt not use the dishwasher/washing machine between the hours of 7am and 10pm because it costs the owner more in electricity.
The only 'rule' I have is that children must be accompanied by an adult when in the pool area. But that is more common sense than a rule. The other 'règles de vie' are concerning what to do with the rubbish etc. but that is more for guidance than rules.
People are here to enjoy themselves on holiday - it isn't a prison camp.
pujols

Post by pujols »

Certainly not a prison camp.
But the basic points re the pool
Leaving rubbish for collection day
tel numbers in case of emergency
Perhaps the time required to vacate on final day?
I remember staying at a
B and B not far from us and we were there for
several nights. We were asked to creep up the stairs at
night without a sound because their son would be desturbed.
We had no tv or radio in the room and came in at 9pm very
qiuetly.
Not the atmosphere which I placate!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't call them rules, they are just welcome notes asking people to do things. Rules are 'you must/must not' etc. and I don't have them.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I have dog rules, because the consequences are so serious. The beach house is on the salt marshes where huge flocks of sheep roam free and unfenced, and the farmers shoot dogs that aren't on leads. And our neighbours have all the top French elite horses, so really really a good idea to get "the dog must be under control" across.

Otherwise, we have a book with what we'd like to happen, but in view of the fact no-one has ever used the right bin bags, despite the fact we provide them free of charge, I don't think anyone reads it. I provide the manuals to every item in the house, in the hope that people will try and work it out for themselves before ringing. So far so good. And I try to do a really thorough walk round when guest arrive. I suspect that is the only part that actually works.

I stay in a house in Spain every year, and the manual is very thorough and I have never needed to ask for help and advice. She updates info on the restaurants etc several times a year, and asks guests to do the same. I tell the owner, who is a friend, if something is not working and then sort it out myself.

I am currently trying to do a sort of FAQ on the houses. Sort of when is check out, what is provided, where are restaurants, what are opening hours, where can we buy... I suspect it could run to hundreds of pages, with many subsections, but it is principally for the house where we are not on site.

Some of the rental companies HR included I think have documents you can download and fill in.