Our first "Offer"

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We recently had a request to consider a discount for a longer term booking in May for our three bedroom house (turned out to be 19 days). I explained that this period really didn't qualify for the 'long term booking' discount but did offer them a discount taking into account changeover costs etc.

THey came back and said that their budget was £300 under what I had offered as discounted rate, but 'would I close off some of the rooms in the house and let them have it at the cheaper rate for not using them'. I said no, this wasn't possible - then found out that it was a 'business' booking. Guest was working in the area and bringing her family with her and her employer was paying and would only allow up to a certain budget. I suggested that she enquire nearer the time to see if those three weeks were still free and we could then offer late availability rate and didn't hear back.

Alternatively I had a couple enquire about our one bedroom apartment but it was already booked, so I offered the two bedroom one at a discount for just the two of them. They said no, however, came back a few days later, saying having thought about it they would like to take my offer. But in the meantime that week had gone. So they have now booked later in the year for a more expensive week (but still with a small discount)
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Slight resurrection of this but it made for an interesting read. Have just received one of the first enquiries for our chalet and they have requested a price reduction and actually suggested a figure they want to pay for the last week of August which is IMO significantly less than the rate (its not like we are expensive anyway :shock: ) .

OH can't understand why i was offended and i had quite an "emotional" response to it.

This thread at least made me feel slightly less daft about the whole thing.

Obviously we are playing serious catch up this season having just started but i did wonder if i should offer a smaller reduction than the one he wants and tell him that to qualify for the reduction he is suggesting then he would have to wait and see if the chalet was available on a "last minute" rate nearer the time. Or should i just bite his hand off at this stage and take the money????? :lol: :?
"May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes"
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'd go for win-win if you can and suggest that although you can't reach the discount level he is proposing, as a caring owner you would like to help him manage his budget by offering xyz.

He won't be offended that you've knocked him back, yet you get satisfaction that you've offered something you can achieve.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I'm waiting for someone to ask me what my best price is as so far as I can see it MY best price would be twice what we actually charge :D
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Mouse wrote:I'd go for win-win if you can and suggest that although you can't reach the discount level he is proposing, as a caring owner you would like to help him manage his budget by offering xyz.

He won't be offended that you've knocked him back, yet you get satisfaction that you've offered something you can achieve.

Mousie
x
Thank you this is exactly what i did. I said that basically i couldn't consider a reduction at that level for such a desirable date as i considered that a Last Minute discount therefore they could wait and see if that date was still available nearer the time or if they booked and paid in full in the next 2 weeks they could have a discount of £XX. (an amount i was happy with)

THEY BOOKED !!!! HOORAH !! I was happy with that :)
"May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes"
revdev

Post by revdev »

Marks wrote:I have 10 days available in August which I would not think of discounting until mid July but I am thinking of adding 10% to my August weekly rate now and then perhaps 'discounting' by that amount if unsold come July. A tactic used by most retailers.
Just noticed this post and had a bit of a chuckle as it's like seeing double!

We too have 10 days remaining of our high season so I have just upped the weekly rate by £100 to see if we can winkle a bit more profit out of the golden period.
To some degree I am testing the market for next year, as this would be my preferred price for high season 2012.

Fingers crossed!
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

but I am thinking of adding 10% to my August weekly rate now and then perhaps 'discounting' by that amount if unsold come July. A tactic used by most retailers
Yip - I've done that often and succeeded. Twice I sold it at the increased amount and once had to discount it back to the original, but of course the client thought he was getting a discount.

Mouse
x
stork

Post by stork »

I was also tempted to give the cheeky answer when someone asked "2 seniors, please advise availability, special rates."

I did not have availability, but I wrote that "last minute" worked better than "senior" around here (it does with me).

She asked if she could come and have a look, both for some friends and for next time the come (every 1-2 years).

- so I may gain something for biting my lip!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ive been asked recently for a 'last minute reduction' for my remaining week at the end of July...I didnt class that as 'last minute'
How long a gap between dates do you consider to be 'last minute'?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

In my mind 2/3 weeks is last minute (and enough time to get the money through without hassle)

Mouse
x
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

If it was the only remaining vacancy, I wouldn't consider a reduction unless there was less than a fortnight to go...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
stork

Post by stork »

I would say about 3 weeks - for us people often have to arrange flights too.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

we have a budget this year of 1400 euros .Would this be adequate to hire your home for two weeks from 2nd july?
200€ under the weekly price! Why on earth do 3 of them want a 6 bedroom house, that is clearly booked on the web site - flip key.

My reply
We do occasionally get cancellations, but the per week price is 1600€ in high season
2nd enquiry for those dates in 24 hours - LV I told you you'd have no trouble getting rid of yours.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Someone was late in paying their balance ( sorted out now, no drama) so I put the 2 weeks in August back as available, within 24 hours I had 11 different people wanting to book ! There are plenty of people out there still looking ! :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

received yesterday..........

''Dates: 10 Aug 2011 to 24 Aug 2011

Number of guests: Adults: 2 Children: 3

Source: Holiday Lettings

Details: Hi lookin at villa for above dates but only have £600 for two weeks can you help ?''

Nope.............

:roll: