PromoteMyPlace.com - Holiday rental website builder

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I took advantage of the free trial , and before it expired, they sent me a discount code for the first year.

If you are a member of Your Holiday Matters you can also get a discount code for PMP.
rosebud

Promote My Place

Post by rosebud »

Are you still pleased with Promote My Place?

Is your site visible - on page one if you put appropriate search words in Google?
rosebud

Promote My Place

Post by rosebud »

Are you still pleased with 'Promote My Place'?

How visible is your site? Is it 'above the fold' on page one when you put appropriate search words in Google? Is it still getting you bookings?
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hi rosebud,

PromoteMyPlace is excellent for creating and managing a holiday rental website. It's really easy to use and they add new features on a regular basis. The support is also top notch.

But in answer to your question about visibility, creating a website with them, or anyone for that matter, is not going to get you on the first page of Google. For that you would need to do a bit of search engine optimisation, or pay someone to do it for you.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Ed is spot on Rosebud.

I went one step further than the free website builder service with PMP and had them create a bespoke WordPress site for me. I now manage the site myself and have full control over every aspect of it (but not yet the technical ability to go along with that control :lol:) - but I'm learning all the time and the PMP team have been so helpful along the way. I have to agree that their customer service really is spot on, they always replied to my emails on time and offered lots of good advice, once I 'went it alone'.

But as Ed says, unless you choose some pretty obscure 'Keywords' (that very few people will search with anyway) you're going to have it all on getting to P1 of Google as you'll be competing with the 'big guns' (that have large advertising and marketing budgets).

But good luck anyway rosebud :)
Ray
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

I emailed PMP about something else to do with my own website and mentioned that the subject of a previous PMP promo code had been mentioned on here.

I asked them if they would be so kind as to let us know if they were going to release a promo code any time soon and Sarah at PMP replied that they had been 'toying with the idea of releasing a promo code recently" and :
the new promo for LMH users is: LMH312 to receive a £10 discount off the 1st year’s subscription.
So anyone considering going down the 'free website builder' route with PMP can use the above code :D
Ray
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Ed wrote: But in answer to your question about visibility, creating a website with them, or anyone for that matter, is not going to get you on the first page of Google. For that you would need to do a bit of search engine optimisation, or pay someone to do it for you.
I'm not so sure about that Ed.

My own web site is on the first page of google on a search for "Brittany cottage".
It is the second link listed for "Josselin" my local tourist town, coming after wikipedia but before the official Town Hall's site.

I know next to nothing about search engine optimistation (have never been good with engines :) ) and have certainly not paid anyone to do that for me.

I think quality content is the way to get onto page 1. If I have done it it can't be too difficult!
Ed

Post by Ed »

I'm not so sure about that Ed.

My own web site is on the first page of google on a search for "Brittany cottage".
It is the second link listed for "Josselin" my local tourist town, coming after wikipedia but before the official Town Hall's site.

I know next to nothing about search engine optimistation (have never been good with engines Smile ) and have certainly not paid anyone to do that for me.
Ok, perhaps I should have said, just setting up a website with PromoteMyPlace, or anyone for that matter, is unlikely to get you on the first page of Google. For that you will have to do a bit of work, part of which includes creating lots of quality content.

I do think you've been a bit lucky though. I'm sure the content of your website has lots to do with it, but you also happen to have chosen a domain name with your keywords in (as I understand it this helps a lot) and I would imagine there isn't loads of competition for the keywords you've chosen.

What Rosebud seemed to be asking was whether creating a website with PromoteMyPlace means it will be visible on page one of Google, above the fold. I guess the answer is, it gives you all the tools necessary to make this happen, but it depends on how much competition there is on Google in your area, as to how difficult it will be. Simply setting up a website with them (or anyone) is unlikely to achieve this.
CSE

Post by CSE »

LaVilleauTady wrote:
Ed wrote:

I get a very different result when looking for "Brittany cottage"
http://bit.ly/GIsX8n
I think you will find results will vary with country base, language and a load of other magical SEO things
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Just below the fold on page 1 where I am (UK.)

For "Josselin" it's 4th down: offical site, Wikipedia, images, then brittany-cottage.me
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
gam

Post by gam »

LaVilleauTady wrote: My own web site is on the first page of google on a search for "Brittany cottage".
Which just goes to show the power of using your target keywords in your domain name/url, for, as you say, there's little other on-page SEO evident. With over 5,000 UK searches a month for that (broad) keyphrase, you've secured a very good domain name, even if it is in the slightly unorthodox me.uk form. Brittany Cottages would perform even better for search volume but probably slightly worse for search page position.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thought this might be of interest to anyone considering using PromoteMyPlace to build their website. They've made some changes - http://www.promotemyplace.com/blog/late ... me-changes
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

LaVilleauTady wrote:I know next to nothing about search engine optimistation (have never been good with engines :) ) and have certainly not paid anyone to do that for me.

I think quality content is the way to get onto page 1. If I have done it it can't be too difficult!
Ed didn't say you had to know about search engine optimisation. He said you'd need to do some, and it appears that you have (inadvertently) by creating quality content.

One of the Google webmaster guidelines states:
Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Roger de Flor

Post by Roger de Flor »

Does anybody think that pictures in pmp are all pixeled?
Catalonia is not spain!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Can't say I've noticed, but do you have any examples?