Warning - crackdown on tax-dodgers in 2005

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
musicmonkey

Warning crackdown on tax dodgers in 2005

Post by musicmonkey »

Paolo - in answer to your question The Inland Revenue require you to top up the tax already paid in France to the UK equivalent (for me 40% - the net effect is as though the property and income was in the UK)
tansy

Post by tansy »

Courtesy & respect are the 2 words that spring to mind here - along with equality and rights! I love the French - I love the shrug and the facial expressions...also the pains they will go to ensuring something is correct - I do get bored sometimes and have to keep reminding myself to stop being so British...but we digress - get on the wrong side of officialdom and you will know all about it!

Incidentally I joined the village choir for the 60th anniversary 6th June 1944 - learnt to sing The Star Spangled Banner in French....very funny time - managed to teach our village 2 lines in English....I worked out then the French won't speak a word of English if the think they are saying it wrong...just as well I decided just to go for it and destroy spoken French as we know it! - we're convinced we must sound like the big white hunter at times...big silver bird in sky & all that!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Is there really a crack-down by the French Authorities or am I just a victim of coincidence?

I live in France and therefore am resident in France for tax purposes. I keep accurate records of my worldwide income and, through a French accountant, I declare my worldwide income to the French Tax Authorities. There is no way in which I could be described as a tax dodger.

Nevertheless, this year (2005), for the first time, I have been obliged to appeal against my French Income Tax, my Contributions Sociales and my Taxes Foncieres. All the original assessments were hopelessly inaccurate, in favour of the Revenue of course. On appeal all assessments were immediately and without question amended to the correct figures which leaves me with the very strong suspicion that this might be a concerted “try-on� by the various Tax Authorities.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Alan