Other Income

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jules, does having a SIRET which you get from INSEE mean automatic registration to the Chambre de Commerce? I thought they were two different things.
julesb

Post by julesb »

Hi Susan

It all gets confusing as it depends what area the 'business' falls - I have registered as a teacher/interpreter, which I had to do through URSAFF, under the title 'professional liberale', I also then had to go to the Chambre de Commerce to register as a 'micro bnc'. It was URSAFF who supplied the siret number. I now have had to sign up for a pension scheme which is paid monthly from date of signing up and I have to pay 'cotisations' to URSAFF independently of whether or not I have any income from the business.

One of the points I was trying to make was that 'when' you set up is very important - I lost out on two counts - setting up without guarenteed business and setting up at the end of a financial year - if I had waited until Jan I would have had a whole year off from paying instead of 2 months (in terms of URSAFF and pension).

Jules
I came to France to stop the panic, now I still panic but at a much slower pace.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Did you have to register as a teacher/interpreter? I have been teaching out here for over 3 years now and have always been a salarié, it seemed more financially beneficial to work for other language schools. I pay cotisations through that work and also from the micro-bic gite buisness, for which I have a SIRET, but it is not registered at the Chamber of Commerce, so I just pay the URSAFF contributions, which are not to much at all.
julesb

Post by julesb »

Hi Susan

I wish I could have found similar work - unfortunately we are quite remote + have only the one car, which makes travelling to the nearest large towns which have language schools virtually impossible, especially as I have to get the twins to and from school. As I said in an earlier posting my main reason to register independently was so that two friends who had offered work could pay me without having to salary me - they are in start-up businesses too so are short of funds and do not want to 'employ' people directly. Then in the end their businesses have not taken-off so the work has not materialised.

I'm sure something will crop up. I thought I had the answer in doing work for elearning companies but that is scuppered because I have to have adsl (unless anyone knows otherwise) - which - you've guessed it, has not reached us yet! It has got to nearby villages so maybe - oneday.
I came to France to stop the panic, now I still panic but at a much slower pace.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jules,

In the absence of ADSL you might find that ISDN is available to you. It is not ideal but it is a lot quicker than dial-up modem and there are monthly contracts available.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jules,
I have a young daughter and I find that the French school system is far more accomodating to working parents than the UK one. I pay about 15€ a month for the garderie, from 7am to 6pm at the local école maternelle. I work in Rennes which is about 50kms away - aside from primary schools, which do not pay a lot, there is very little work in the provinces. A lot of language schools now do telephone lessons, have you considered this? I do some for my language school, the advantage is that you can work from home, it's a lot easier than doing all the travelling!