New Website...May I have reviews?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I sort of understand what you mean about owning and not wiling to change. But some times you have to move with the times, especially with computer stuff. I have a copy Windows 3.11 but I don’t use it! :wink:

DW is very good, it is not WYSIWYG that is to say it is not drag and drop. But you see what you are producing, with the split screen option. It has a lot of opportunity to allow to change things when you feel more confident with your website creation abilities. DW will not remove the nasty over bloated crap from FP. You have to start again. I will also suggest that no programme will remove the fat from FP.
Here is a good Youtube channel to watch
http://www.youtube.com/user/tutvid
There are loads of vids about how to use DW.
On this forum have a look through this section for some ideas on other programmes to use or some template websites site too.
viewforum.php?f=2
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Thanks!

I appreciate the point about using up-to-date software :)

I have the patience to learn DW, so I reckon that I'll do that, leaving the existing site up and running for customers to look at.

I've also taken note of the design criticisms, as well as the advice about meta tags and the like. So thanks, people, your input is very much appreciated :D

Back to DW...
Property owner in Burneside, Kendal, Cumbria
Goosey

Post by Goosey »

If you're going to learn Dreamweaver, go the whole hog and learn CSS at the same time. It'll make a huge difference.
Martha

Post by Martha »

The photos are lovely, it must be a beautiful place!

The site is in a bit of a state (sorry! :) ) as people have said.
I think you'd be better off just going with a template system (I use Wordpress and would recommend it, looking around on this site, you will find more advice. I am reasonably competent with Dreamweaver, straight HTML coding and CSS, but still prefer to use Wordpress for my own site, it just takes so much legwork out of the process.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
davhill

Post by davhill »

Well, thanks Peeps :D

The upshot is that I'm ploughing on - at the pace of a non-too-arthritic snail - building the site again in DW. So far, the links work from the home page and I've shortened that a lot.

Now, there's a new page, called 'Inside & Out', which is where the main set of pics lives.

So, I only have to get the link bar to appear on all pages, add a million text links, and put up more pretty snaps of the area.

There has to be an easier way, etc :roll:
CSE

Post by CSE »

There has to be an easier way, etc
Yep pay a very nice person a lot of money:
I too am struggling to build a new website. Running the business keeps getting in my way!
Is an idea to comment as you change things or when you have finished?
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

At the risk of opening another worm can, have you considered using a content management system such as Wordpress rather than code from scratch?
There are so many templates and plugins now that you can get most functions that you may want either free or cheap.

I developed my site from scratch, and without any prior website exerience (perhaps it shows?) in a couple of weeks of evenings, and find that it is easy to keep updated.

Just another option, and maybe the easier way that you are seeking...
Open for business.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Good point, Dave, but I've plunged ahead with Dreamweaver and reckon I'm starting to get on top of it.

The good part is that I've been able to import the site colours from Frontpage without bringing in any of its nasty code. There are some silly bits, like having had to build the link button bar individually for each page but that's easier than re-jigging a whole CSS as the instruction video says.

Fortunately for me, patience is something I have in quantity...just as well, really :wink: Plus, I've never found that learning a software is time wasted.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

davhill wrote:There are some silly bits, like having had to build the link button bar individually for each page but that's easier than re-jigging a whole CSS as the instruction video says.
You shouldn't have to do this, David. You can use library files (and possibly other methods) for this.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
davhill

Post by davhill »

No matter, done it now and it all works in sandbox mode.

It's like any learning curve, really. In this instance, it seems the link bar (a Spry widget) is in a separate add-on to DW. I tried copying in the code and it wouldn't play so I just productionised the whole shoot.

By the way, filled August yet? We've not even filled easter!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Dave, coding with CCS is not something to do straight away. I admire that you are getting on with DW immediately. The CCS will come later.
davhill

Post by davhill »

I'm pressing on with the task and plan to upload the result when it's all been fully tested.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

davhill wrote:By the way, filled August yet? We've not even filled easter!
Not yet, no. Bookings are generally good for us up until the end of October but August is proving slow for some reason.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Hi Paul,

But weird this year, methinks. We've just had a stack of queries and a few bookings as a direct result of joining Holiday Lettings. Still v. patchy though.

I've a distinct feeling folk are scared of committing funds, what with the cuts and wobbly job future for many.
davhill

Post by davhill »

Dreamweaver Site Mk.1

Yes, it's up and running! :D

Not looking for reviews as such at this stage but I've cleaned up the first page and put the interiors on a second page 'In and Out'.

There's also a revised set of T&Cs, and a few other tweaks, including a hidden hit counter 8)

So, I'll be playing tag (and meta tag) soon. Plus, a lot of the site is a bit text-rich so I'll be adding more pics soon.

Bye bye Frontpage :wink: