Government to integrate licence payments

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Windy

Government to integrate licence payments

Post by Windy »

From today's Telegraph (Page 6)
"After consultation with Visit Britain and other interested tourism bodies, the Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport, John Penrose will today unveil a new integrated licences payment scheme as part of the new Government Tourism Strategy,

Designed to streamline current licence legislation and cut red tape the government will now collect the licence revenue in one payment for televisions, PRS and DVD Concierge Licences and redsitribute it to the bodies concerned. The new licence fee will be levied at a flat rate of 1.75% of the previous tax year's gross turnover excluding VAT for all self-catering establshments, B&Bs and hotels.

Mr Penrose commented "we believe Britain needs to be able to fight on a level playing field with the rest of Europe, so we are doing our best to remove hurdles to growth. We are also contemplating reducing the amount of VAT paid by tourism businesses"
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Good one! :lol: :lol:

Any more April Fool articles around?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Mr Penrose further commented that as most of the cabinet holiday in exotic foreign locations, except of course when grapsing for the odd PR opportunity. they don't really give a stuff about tourism which is why they don't have a proper minister for it, and instead lump it in with all culture media and sport.
CSE

Post by CSE »

What gave it a way as an April fools joke was this bit
"level playing field with the rest of Europe".
What part of Europe did they mean???? :D :D :D
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I hate to be boring but Germany is going to combine TV licenses with income tax some time in the next few years.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'll be even more boring and say that France combined the TV license with a local tax (taxe d'habitation) a few years ago.
CSE

Post by CSE »

This is what I mean when i asked what part of Europe? In Spain we have no TV licence nor in The Netherlands.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Come on chaps - I made it up as an April fool - I didn't expect the Spanish Inquistion .... :wink:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Windy wrote:Come on chaps - I made it up as an April fool - I didn't expect the Spanish Inquistion .... :wink:
But to put us on a level playing field with the rest of Europe, surely we should have a UK equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition?

Which reminds me - I haven't filled in our Census form yet :roll:
Windy

Post by Windy »

I haven't filled in our Census form yet
Wel there is no time limit - it just says "as soon as possible" dunnit?

I can just see you arguing the definition of "possibility" in court :lol: