Domain Names

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise wrote:Does this speculation mean that a Fluffy website is in the offing? :lol:
Don't hold your breath! I believe in learning to walk before trying to run and I haven't reached the crawling stage yet. And, the fluff is getting in the way of all mental processes. No, No it couldn't be the wine it has to be the fluff.

I'm pleased I raised this topic. On the one hand it is informative, on the other it is proving to be fun.

I am a member of a monthly lunch club called the Legover Club (don't ask!). It could be a short anachronism for "Lot-et-Garonne, Our Very Exclusive Retreat". I checked for availability and found that "legover.anything" is already taken. Is it such a popular activity?

Seriously though, thanks for all the responses.

Alan
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Strange but true, the following URL is still free -fluffygetshislegover.com.......... :shock:
Cheers
PC
debk

Post by debk »

Paul Carmel wrote:Strange but true, the following URL is still free -fluffygetshislegover.com.......... :shock:
Oh! oh! Maybe I can still grab it before anyone else does...
debk
(racing away)
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

debk,

"Oh! oh! Maybe I can still grab it before anyone else does... "

I think Joan might have somthing to say about that :D ..........
Cheers
PC
debk

Post by debk »

:shock: :oops: :shock:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Eeeee! As they used say in Coronation Sreet "it shouldn't be allowed". I have had such a sheltered life I really don't know what you mean. Is it something to do with high jumping or pole vaulting or horse riding or cycling even?

Alan
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I know someone above said : avoid hyphens.

But I've also learned that this may not really be a good idea. Lets take an example :

www.mygiteinthewestwingofanoldchateaunearsarlat.com

Pretty precise, but www.my-gite-in-the-west-wing-of-an-old- ... sarlat.com could be better for the search engines. Obviously a little exagerated to prove a point !

Not many people will type " mygiteinthewestwingofanoldchateaunearsarlat" into google. Pity because it would almost certainly find your domain.

However search engines will ignore the hyphens and the keywords " gite " "west wing" "chateau" "sarlat" could be quite valuable ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

At the moment I am tempted by something simple like "monflanquincottages.com" and/or "monflanquin-cottages.com". What do you think?

Alan
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Does the Platinum Web Hosting option at £85.00 p.a. from easyspace.com provide all I would need for registration and hosting?

Alan
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Simpel is good. How about holidayrentalinmonflanquinc.com ?
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

See what the others think, but it seems a littel over the top. The gold would be enough for our site.
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think your url should state what your website is about in as few characters as possible.

Some factors to consider:

Location or name of house?
Stating a location tells someone where it is, which is important. On the other hand using the name of the house, e.g. rosecottage.com, tells the potential visitor that this is a personal website for one house, and that will make you stand out from a sea of dordogne-gites-r-us sites.

But on balance, I would go for a location plus accommodation type, if there is something appropriate that is short enough.

Shorter is better because it is easier to read, to remember and to type.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a hyphen in a longer name, because it makes the url legible, e.g. monflanquin-cottages.com. I wouldn't use more than one though. I associate lots of hyphens with spams and scams.

The use of a hyphen may also make a shorter url available to you. I took provence-rentals.org, because everything to do with provencerentals had long gone.

At Godaddy.com you can buy up urls (except .co.uk) very cheaply, something like $7-8 a year. I would choose your url, e.g. monflanquincottages.com, and buy up
monflanquincottages.co.uk
monflanquin-cottages.com
monflanquin-cottages.co.uk
monflanquincottages.net
just to keep them unavailable to others.

You can buy the names for a year or multiple years, and you will be reminded when the registration is up for renewal, or you can opt for automatic renewal.

What is the next step up from Monflanquin? Is it Perigord? Both perigordrentals and perigordcottages are available.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
marcus

Post by marcus »

That's more or less the same as I pay to host up to 10 websites with acewebhosting. And I think you still have to pay extra for MySQL databases (although you'll never need one, I imagine)

If you expect a huge site and an enormous number of visitors to your site you may need loads of storage and bandwith I suppose...otherwise 123-reg, the gold package you refer to or the other hosting companies referred to in this thread look on the face of it to be better value

Perhaps you get marginally less down-time if you pay a lot, but if you are barely convinced of the merits of having a site in the first place, it seems unlikely that you would want to pay a lot extra for that potential missing hour or two a year when your site can't be accessed...

and I'm sure you prefer Linux than Microsoft, and don't really want FrontPage server extensions ?

pay less for your hosting and spend the £50 saved on AdWords advertising or alcohol, I suggest.

cheers
marcus
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi Alan, marcus and the rest

These prices for hosting packages seem to be very expensive. Depending on what you are wanting you can get hosting with 2-5 my sql databases unlimited emails and forwarding and all the works with 20gb bandwidth for about £30 per year. To pay £85.00 especially to easyspace is nothing more than a rip off. Just my thoughts but I would save your £50 per year and spend it on something more useful.

Pete
for worldwide holidays try www.lastminutevillaholiday.co.uk
marcus

Post by marcus »

I did mean of course that £85 for 10 websites is the total cost not the cost per website.