Domain Names

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

This will be a very mixed up response so – Dear All,

The reasoning behind “monflanquincottages� or “monflanquinrentals� or similar is just that – I am trying to incorporate the “where� and the “what� in one relatively short name.

The next step up from Monflanquin is a little confusing. It could be the department of “Lot-et-Garonne� or more general names like “Aquitaine�, “Quercy� or “Perigord� or the nearby areas of “Gascony� or “Dordogne� but they are all words which would be incorporated into page descriptions and key words.

What is the point in buying up multiple url’s? Can they all be hosted for a reasonable total fee? Do you have just one hosted and the others to avoid them being available to other people?

Pete & Marcus, tell me more. The names of the hosts would be good.

I am tempted by the “one stop shopping� approach of Easyspace - registration and hosting in one place. Is that the wrong way to go? Is it preferable to do registrations with one supplier and hosting with another? I must take a look at Godaddy and Acewebhosting to see what the alternatives might be.

I do not anticipate wanting or needing a database driven website so the absence of SQL is not a problem. My long experience in IT suggests to me that, all others things being equal, a UNIX based or a LINUX based host would be preferable to a Microsoft based host. Similarly, I don’t think I have any interest in FrontPage or its extensions. When it comes to creating the layout and the content I will be using StyleMaster and Dreamweaver.

Do the hosting packages come with FTP and are they easy to use? I have WS_FTP. Should I stick with that or seek another stand-alone product?

Questions, questions. Where’s the decisions? Where’s the bottle?

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Fluffs, it's me, sticking my oar in again. Like the variations on a theme of monflanquin cottages, but also wondered if my-monflanquin might be a nice one - it may not be as good from a search engine point of view, but has a certain cachet (IMHO) that the former, functional, but let's admit, a bit prosaic, doesn't. My-monflanquin is equally memorable, and might tempt people to click just to see what's so special. It also suggests something personal about the site.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan,
if not all the domain names are already used, I would go for the next step up and use a department or region (whichever is well known). From a layperson's point of view, most people looking for a holiday won't look for Montflanquin, I'm sure the majority would look for Aquitaine/DordogneSouth West country gites/cottages.
I only speak from my experience, most people find my gites by typing in Brittany, your average holidaymaker isn't often familiar with the town names in France.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jane,

Your oar is welcome anytime.

Personalising a personal website does have its attractions. My attitude towards Monflanquin and the life I enjoy here means that it is mine. If I want to sell the message where better to start than with my-Monflanquin?

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Delighted you like it Fluffy - what does Joan think? It seems available with or without hyphen and with all manner of suffixes.

Alternatively, taking Susan's reaction on board, it could equally be my-perigord etc.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi Alan

I would strongly recommend to you that you do steer clear of easyspace. If you do a google search for their parent company you will see all the problems that are related with that company in general. I have had first hand experience with this company and you do not want to go anywhere near them. Easyspace were taken over b another company about 1 year ago and it is this company that is not good whatsoever. I will not name names here on the open internet as they are known to spy on firums just like this one.

I would choose one major domain name that describes where you are but go that little bit above your local area. The other domain names you would register would be the .co.uk.org.info.net.biz etc and point them to your main website that way no other competition can get them but you only have to have a hosting package for your main site.

Give me a minute and will post the exact link for my hosting company. I have an affiliate link for them somewhere but don't know if I can post that one.

Pete
for worldwide holidays try www.lastminutevillaholiday.co.uk
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Pete,

Invaluable information - thank you.

Alan
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dear All,

I don't expect to be top of the list on a Google search. This isn't going to be the next killer-app, just a personal website to which I can point people.

Joan and I are pretty well agreed that monflanquincottages, with and without the hyphen, is what we like - using the two obvious extensions of .co.uk and .com.

The next step in the process is to decide where to register and where to host.

I am told this time of the year is popular with people doing what I am doing so I am really looking forward to suggestions or confirmations of suggestions already made.

I do appreciate the help so readily given.

Alan
marcus

Post by marcus »

That's strange. I'm on page 2 of google uk for monflanquin cottages and page 1 for monflanquin cottage. How important a little difference can be.

Hosting only takes about 10 minutes to organise, and a new name takes about 3 days to circulate through the system. So probably preparing the site is the problem rather than booking the name, unless you already have a site waiting to go...

Nonetheless I can reiterate that any sites I've previously mentioned in this thread seem good to me, and a lot of people talk about 1and1 as being good.

I would also get wanadoo webspace called monflanquincottages as well if I were you - it's free and a good place to check that everything works before trying it on a more permanent home. Look in your 'mon compte' section for details.

good luck
marcus
Last edited by marcus on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan,
If you are not interested in search engine ratings, then I agree, go for a name that means something to you and the people you will re-direct to it as an 'add-on'.
If you are after suggestions of potential web hosts, I can recommend mine,
http://ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk/
Very efficient and very helpful with advice about websites, they always reply to any queries within 5 minutes,never had any downtime (except that planned) in last 4 years. About £20 per year hosting, depending on what package you choose.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dear All,

Tomorrow I have my annual check-up for my pace-maker batteries. On the assumption that they still have a charge left in them I will devote the weekend to making a decision. That'll flatten them if nothing else does, they're not used to it and nor am I.

Fluffy
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

I would nudge you away fom Monflanquin towards the next name up (Perigord?) if Monflanquin is not front-of-mind for potential visitors. The reason is that if they see monflanquin and don't know what it is, they may not click. If they see perigord or an equivalent, that will chime with what they are looking for, and is likelier to entice the click.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Linda

Domain Names

Post by Linda »

Hi

For what it's worth, just to say that my web is with Easyspace and I have had no problems. They were helpful when I needed to ask questions and I think their prices are fair.

It's horses for courses I guess

Linda
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Alan,
Don't you think that "Monflanquin" sounds like something President "tête de veau" Chirac could eat? I'd go for Perigord or, even better if it's possible, "Dordogne". I don't think many potential visitors are going to google for Monflanquin.
Marcus is on page 2 of google uk for monflanquin cottages - but does it matter if nobody googles for it? (Maybe Monflanquin is THE spot everyone is visiting & I should get out more....)

Good luck for your check-up tomorrow,
Best,
Alexia.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Alan,

If I were you I would stick with Monflanquin. A lot of people do query on it, in part because, as you know but others may not, it is listed as one of 'the most beautiful villages in france'. And there is no way a small personal site will come on the front page for Perigord or Aquitaine or Dordogne.

It's better to be at the top of a few, carefully targetted small realistic lists than at the bottom of a big list, I think, which is why I target monflanquin, villereal, monpazier, issigeac etc - between them they get a fair no of inquiries. For the same reason I focus on phrases including 'Bergerac' such as 'gites near bergerac', rather than bergerac itself - because not so many people query on it, but I am found by those that do.
Curiously I do very well from Chateua Bonaguil, which gets more enquiries than these other towns put together and is a very popular search word.

Perhaps I should aim higher in future?

Marcus