Still think social media are a fad?

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

It does look as everyone's using theirs as a blog though and updating it regularly with new info, pictures etc. Not sure I need anything else that needs updating.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I know what you mean, but I feel as if it would be silly (that is not good business sense!) to not go with the flow right now! I wouldn't use it much I'm sure, but some presence would be better than none.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Just go in to your account and create a page...then name it as your holiday property.

I think it needs to be updated regularly as it's something that gives people that haven't holidayed yet a flavour of what's to come. It's gone down well with all our bookers this year.

Of course when they 'friend' it their other friends become aware of it, also when they post or upload photos. So it slowly spreads outwards.

For me I also find it answers the question 'do you exist/are you for real' because other people (past guests) are posting on there (and you can then check back through following their profile link).
A review on a rental site can be forged (as we all know) as you never know who the 'guest' is. On FB you immedietely can see who it is...they'd have to set up a false account and that would be far too complicated to do (collecting friends would be a nightmare!!)

Also - unlike a guestbook which sits in the property and only visable when guests are there...this is accessible to all, past and present, for as long as they want to view.

When we set it up we sent a link to the guests from last year and asked them to post/upload photos which some were very willing to do. This year because our guests know it exists (I tell them on booking if not before) they've uploaded photos and comments.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ok so I can see how to create a page, but I still don't understand whether it will link to my personal profile or not. FB being the nightmare that it is, I don't want to experiment and then find I have linked or liked something to my personal profile when I want it to link/like to the business page.

Do you understand what I'm trying to do/not do?! :?

Just had a further thought. If people can post comments, as per a visitor book then you presumably cannot do anything about them if they are derogatory? So a complaining guest could have free rein and all you have is right to reply?
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Nemo wrote:
Just had a further thought. If people can post comments, as per a visitor book then you presumably cannot do anything about them if they are derogatory? So a complaining guest could have free rein and all you have is right to reply?
that occurred to me too... I think you might be right.. can anyone who actually has a page confirm whether this is correct?
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I do, and yes, you can remove posts, just like with your personal account. I was spammed by someone flogging cleaning products and was able to remove all the wall posts.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks LV, that's something I've learnt today - you can see I know very little about FB despite having a page! (It was created for me by a friend, so I really haven't investigated very far!)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

My page is as active as my blog, dormant for a few years now. I'm no good at marketing or promotion. But one of this year's guests somehow found my FB page and wrote a nice comment, so maybe it is worth doing after all.
revdev

Post by revdev »

Ok, so you have now set up your FB page for your Holiday Home.

Everytime you log in, you have to do so as your private person (you can't have a business page without having a previous personal page as far as I know).

From there go to your business page. On the right hand side you will see the option "To use FB as Joe Bloggs Holiday Home". Click on that and anything you do will be done as the Holiday Home and not your personal page.

Click the same button to reverse the process/

HTH.
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
lorca

Post by lorca »

Just to clarify Nemo

It does NOT connect to your personal page (unless of course you want it to!)

You can adjust the settings so it´s only you who can post, or only you and friends - or whatever

You can adjust visibility so only friends (or "likers" as they seem to be called) can view it - or allowed it to be viewed by all

You are the administrator, but you can´t be viewed. You can appoint someone else as well (my OH does it with me)

We only post once every few weeks - others post regularly (I sort of think that some people may "hide" our posts if they´re too frequent, but I could ell be wrong)

Hope that helps
If not now, when?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks everyone.......it is starting to become a little clearer. Now the problem is what to call it.....I have one property currently called Beachscape, a Google website called norfolkcoastholidaycottage, a dormant wordpress website called holidaynorfolkcoast (waiting to be created and used as my main site) and finally (fingers crossed) a new property to be added soon called Tides. Any suggestions as to what to call the FB page? I'm guessing this will be the start of my "brand". I also have thoughts in the future of managing other people's properties, so I am looking ahead.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Well personally I like Norfolk Coastal Holidays (doesn´t seem to exist on FB or as a website), says what it is and would come up on searches (even searching coast rather than coastal)
If not now, when?