Bulk emailing

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nemo

Bulk emailing

Post by Nemo »

I would like to email my past guests but what system should I use? I am a PIMS user combined with Outlook currently. Is there a programme out there that I can use that makes it quick and easy? I remember reading one or two threads in the past, but couldn't find anything that up to date.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've used Mailchimp in the past to do bulk emails, but I can sync it with my online booking system.
enid

Post by enid »

I use mailchimp
Windy

Post by Windy »

I use PHPlist, but you need to install it on your own web site.

It's available on Fantastico install.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yet another reason to get my wordpress site going! I'm going on a wordpress course next week, thanks to MG, so I hope that will give me the kick start I need!
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

Mailchimp gets my vote too
Self Catering Accommodation
http://dioni.co.uk
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just an update to this thread. I have gone with mailchimp (for speed mainly!) and have been really pleased with the results. It took me an afternoon to read through and then create a suitable email but the result is good and I really like the fact that you get a report telling you exactly what is happening with the emails once sent.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Hi Nemo

Would you mind mailing me a copy? ( stay at kendalcottages dot com)

This is really something I think I should be looking at as well... :oops:
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

I've just sent my first Newsletter (Happy New Year to previous guests) using mailchimp (Don't know why but I keep thinking it's 'chimpmail' :?: )

I've not used excel spreadsheets before, so couldn't figure out how to 'import a file' either using excel, or .txt file, which is the other accepted file format, so spent an hour manually creating a subscriber list (very tedious).

I also intend sending a different Newsletter to previous 'enquirers' and there will obviously be a LOT more of those (unfortunately) and it will take me forever to do this manually each time I want to send a Newsletter.
Could anyone point me in the right direction as to how to load information into excel, so as to be able to import the file, or alternatively - how do I create a plain text doc ?

Nemo, I'd be interested to know how your first Newsletter with mailchimp went :?:
Ray
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Not sure TBH! Better than the industry average anyway, according to mailchimp. About one third were opened, two thirds not. My click through rate to my website was 11.1%. However, I have not had any direct contact from a past guest as a result. Seeds sown for the future maybe?

I did import from excel, but can't remember how - just followed instructions!
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Thanks nemo,

Only two days since I sent the Newsletter and so far -

open rate = 50%

click rate to our website = diddly - zilch - 0 -nuthin :(

ah well, there's time yet and as you say nemo -

"Seeds sown for the future maybe" ?
Ray
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Open rate sounds great. The difference between us is me sending before and you after Christmas I would think, as now is peak time for thoughts of holidays.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Yes, probably so

I did receive an email reply from the 'Autotweet' that was sent out.
The reply was - words to the effect

"Sorry, I didn't understand the txt of your tweet"

I didn't actually want to send out an 'Auto tweet', as I didn't have the time/inclination to complete the form, but as I couldn't figure out how 'not to send it', I just let it go with the Newsletter anyway.
So it went out with the standard template 'hieroglyphics -gobbledy gook' txt in there. No wonder the poor sole couldn't understand it :oops: :lol:

We live and learn !
Ray
Windy

Post by Windy »

I was encouraged to give mail chimp a try today by the positive comments here. It is much easier to use than phpmail and the reporting sounds great.

I like the fact that it has easy templates to set up professional looking emails too.

I hope the results are as good as Nemo's :lol:

Hey! We could have an LMH competition :shock:

PS if anyone is interested you can see the template I put together here :

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=fc7 ... e647c694e6
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Great email Windy. :)

Competition? - Nah, don't think so; you boys will just be in it to win it won't you? :wink:

Keep us posted though - I wish I'd waited until now, as I could really do with a bookings pep up. After going silly last week, it's all gone quiet. :(