Still dreaming

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
marcus

Still dreaming

Post by marcus »

There are various discussions going on and I wanted to be sure this idea was not missed because it would solve almost all problems at one - cheap, easy and quick to implement and so on.

Idea - the listing site includes location details and then links to individuals sites, but not individual property details. Hence also avoiding lots of ongoing expensive site maintenance.

Please check out
http://www.southofthedordogne.com/worldtravel/yhm.htm
for a quick look at how it could work.

Marcus
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Morning Marcus - up with the larks again I see!

Gut reaction to the above, putting myself in the position of the person whose holiday matters, is that as the site grows, it will become increasingly irritating to have to keep clicking back and forth to see if the preferred destination offers accommodation which suits my particular spec. I appreciate that the sample, which looks good, potentially finds a way around certain technical issues, but we don't want to lose our customers before they've actually explored the range of suitable properties on offer. Or are you envisaging that some kind of search facility could still be able to built in on the home page?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi. That's me, the lark ascending.

I was just talking to Susan (wife, not gite owner in Brittany) about it and she said exactly the same thing. Yes we would need to add some kind of sorting or search such that people could see which properties were small, large, had pools, as a minimum before they were driven mad looking at inappropriate properties.
marcus

Post by marcus »

We have found a new home for these discussions.
If you are an interested party you should receive an email shortly.
If not, email me at smith.marcus at wanadoo.fr
Cheers
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

This is a technical question, Marcus: how did you get all of our e-mail addresses?
Best,
Alexia.
marcus

Post by marcus »

sorry youre asking the wrong person, it wasn't me that sent it
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

marcus wrote:We have found a new home for these discussions.
It is good to have a separate place for these discussions. Maybe some way will be found to move these threads to the new Forum.

Unfortunately, the new Forum is just as public as is this one. I don't think it will stay a "secret garden" for long. It will be very easy to find if anyone wants to. For instance, do a Google search on my name "Alan Knighting" and the first two results are my membership of LMH. Given time, my membership of the new Forum will come up as well.

Is there no way of securing entry to the Forum?

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

alexia s. wrote:This is a technical question, Marcus: how did you get all of our e-mail addresses?
Alexia, I think Marcus meant that you would receive a PM.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi Alan

There is and it would mean an administrator checking who is trying to register on the forum.

Pete
for worldwide holidays try www.lastminutevillaholiday.co.uk
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Marcus,
"sorry you're asking the wrong person, it wasn't me that sent it"
I was referring to your post:
"If you are an interested party you should receive an email shortly"
Jane must be right - you didn't mean "email".
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Pete,

I imagine that administrators already have more than enough to do. What I would like to see is a password system for entry to the site for all, except to the registration section. If there's not then there's not.

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Consolidating the various comments that have been made about privacy, it has to be said that it is not wise for anyone to continue posting on a public site. I have decided, therefore, not to participate in the LMY forum. ASA there is a secure committee-members only site I would like to continue to contribute.
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

alexia s. wrote:Consolidating the various comments that have been made about privacy, it has to be said that it is not wise for anyone to continue posting on a public site. I have decided, therefore, not to participate in the LMY forum. ASA there is a secure committee-members only site I would like to continue to contribute.
For what it's worth, that my position also.

Alan
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi Alan and alexia

How would you like the password system to work? There is several forms of security available but no system is infallable. Do you want a password emailed to every LMH user that has expressed interest in this project or do you want someone to check the registers on the site?

Let me know and I will see what I can do.

Pete
for worldwide holidays try www.lastminutevillaholiday.co.uk
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Pete,

With the greatest respect I don't really care how security is achieved, so long as it is.

Although it is an obvious way, a password system is only one way of achieving security.

Until security is achieved, we are potentially sharing all our ideas with the outside world and until security is achieved I will prefer to remain silent.

That's not to say I have any good ideas.

Alan