European listing sites for the non-English-speaking market

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Here is a free translation site that I think is better than Babelfish:

http://www.reverso.com/text_translation.asp

This is how it translates the same passage as above:
Merci tout - j'examinerai - vous avez raison quoique le français aime 'vraiment la valeur' pour l'argent et négociera - j'espère aussi profiter le marché allemand/hollandais et belge - je vous ferai part!

Re tanslation vous ont essayé ? Http: // world.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

C'est libre(gratuit) et selon nos amis français ils disent que c'est assez précis - juste quelques changements grammer ... la traduction légèrement littérale. J'ai eu l'habitude d'utiliser freetranslation.com mais c'était partout!
Not bad for a dumb bit of free software!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

This is closer than babelfish but still quite obvious errors. It would be great to have a native French speaker give an opinion!
paolo

Post by paolo »

I used to be a native French speaker and I think it is very badly written but the sense is intelligible, which it may not be with the babelfish version. You certainly wouldn't want to use it as is in marketing your property. At a pinch you could use it to translate correspondence with non-English speakers.

The site also translates to and from German and Spanish - anyone know if it's any good for these?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

It seems to me that these translation systems work pretty well when they are asked to translate "words" from one language to another. The problems appear to be “context� and “sentence construction�.

I only use my translator for languages with which I have at least a working knowledge, i.e. English/French and French/English. I use the translator to produce a first working draft and then I edit the end result. It knows far more French words than I do but it doesn’t always get it right.

I ran a very simple test recently. I typed “Dear Mr Knighting�, used my translator for English/French and then French/English. I finished up as “Expensive Mr Knighting�. My wife said, “How did it know? It got it spot on!� Embarrassingly correct but not in context.

I used to have an English/French and French/English translator that stopped and gave me options when there was more than one translation for a word. I think it was called “French Assistant� and was produced by “Microtac Software�. If I remember rightly, not only did it translate documents but it also translated individual words, conjugated verbs, provided gender agreement, included all accented characters and allowed me to choose the proper entry when there was a multiple translation for a word. Might be worth researching.

Alan
Martin

Post by Martin »

Alan Knighting wrote:
“Feiertagmieten� – German
“Feiertaghäuser� – German

Alan
Hi,

Forget this both substantives. A "Feiertag" is a "working free day" in the calendar as Eastern, Chrismas.

For "holidays" this is the right term: FERIEN

Ferienwohnung (holiday apartment), Ferienhaus ( holiday house)

Sorry, I know my English is sometimes funny, but german I know.

Martin Wunder

www.france-paris.fr